Chapter Twenty Nine.

Start from the beginning

“So what?” Luke’s eyebrows go up. “You want to date her or something?”

For once, I’m at a loss for words. The question caught me off guard, because I never thought about actually dating Dakota. I never thought about dating anyone, minus Stacey Dugan, whom was all I could think about night and day. I never had a serious girlfriend before, just a few hook ups, or girls I hung out with for a while, but no one to call my own. It’s not that I don’t want to be in a relationship, I just never found someone I wanted to spend my time with; someone who shared my interest or someone who I connected with, or whatever bullshit.

And I’m not sure if Dakota shares my interests and we definitely didn’t have a connection when we first met, but something is different about her. Something I can’t explain. All I know is that when she told me about Dave, I just wanted to hold her. I wanted to protect her, because I couldn’t stand the fact that someone hurt her like that.

“Don’t be stupid.” Tommy gives an obnoxious laugh, his large shoulders heaving up and down. “Elijah never had a girlfriend is in his life.”

“Yeah,” I let out my own laugh, but it was weak and humorless even to my own ears. “Don’t be stupid.”

Right as we’re about to start playing again, the door to the club opens, creaking and letting in a stream of light. Dakota slides in, her petite frame slipping against the door, and she lets out a soft sigh as she steps in, closing the door behind her.

The club is deadly silent. Dakota turns around, and her eyes go into ovals as she realizes all attention is on her. She rolls her bottom lip between her teeth, and I moan desperately under my breath. “Shit.” I curse to myself, averting my eyes away from her.

“Uh hey, guys.” Dakota waves her fingers awkwardly, shuffling on the balls of her feet.

“Hey, you.” Tommy says, moving to the front of the stage. He smirks. “Fun night?”

“What?” Dakota breaths, her voice trailing off. Her eyes trail over to me, and our gazes lock. Her eyes narrow, her lips pursing as she gives me a hardened stare. “Actually Tommy,” She lets out a bored sigh, cocking her head to the side. I can’t stand how adorable she looked. “It could have been better.”

 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

“Dakota,” I murmur, coming up behind her. It’s about four in the morning, and her shift is over. She stops outside her car, her hand falling away from the door. She keeps her back to me, letting out a sad, tired sigh. We haven’t talked all night, and it’s killing me. I just need to know what she’s thinking.

“What?” She snaps.

I take a hesitant step closer. “Can we talk?”

“About what?” She turns on her heel, spinning around to face me. She crosses her arms, tipping her head back. “I believe you said everything you had to.”

I sigh, turning my head to the side and scuffing my heel along the pavement. I swing my eyes back over to Dakota. “Dakota, I’m sorry.”