The old man laughed before he took a long drag off his cigarette and puffed it all once. His wrinkles sighed along with him. "Hindi naman natin kayang magmahal nang pantay."

After her lunch and her fourth bottle of beer, Alyssa heeded to her yearning. She got in her car again and drove north. The traffic would have discouraged her inebriated self but she could not be stopped. She wanted to be there. She wanted to see her back when she still belonged to her.

Alyssa parked in front of the house. It was now painted yellow, the shrubs and roses she kept in her yard were replaced by a couple of kennels and fountains and gnomes. Laura has always hated gnomes. The blank eyes frighten her. She would have been freaked out if she found out the gnomes lurking around her yard.

 Alyssa shut the engine of her car and fixed her gaze outside. The house still looks the same only that there was no Laura at the gate, waiting for her to come inside. There was no Vince in his sesame street pajamas bursting out of the door to get to his Ate Laura first before his sister does. Those were her most cherished moments in this home.

"Ate Ly?"

"Troy?" Alyssa rolled her window down. She extended her arm outside to ruffle the kid's hair. "Ang laki mo na, ah?"

"Alyssa?"

It was Laura. For all it's worth, it was Laura. She did not have to glance at her side mirror. Laura was already behind Troy. 

"What are you doing here?" Alyssa, still in disbelief, asked but if anything, it should be her who should be answering her own question. 

"I was visiting Lola Regina. You looked suspicious kanina rito until I realized this was your car but I had to make sure kasi bakit ka naman mapupunta rito, 'di ba?" Laura opened her door and beckoned her to get out of her car. "But since you're here, samahan mo naman kaming mag-meryenda."

"No, I just had-"

"We don't say no to Lola, right?"

"Right, right!" Troy gladly took Alyssa's other hand. Her body just moved upon its own command different from that of her mind. Her legs jogged along with the two, her fingers fell in between the gaps of Laura's hand. This was not her choice, this was fate teasing her.

At three pm, they were at Lola Regina's couch enjoying her dinner rolls and warm chocolate drinks. Lola Regina was a couple of lots away from the house but because she shares the same love for gardening as Laura, they came to know her. Troy was Vince' best buddy, although the former is few years younger than Laura's brother. During rainy days, like this afternoon, Lola Regina would invite the three of them in her house for merienda and board games. 

For old memories' sake, Alyssa told herself as she let herself laugh whenever Laura laughed. And she giggled to every joke shared by Laura and Troy. And she listened to what Laura answered when she was asked where Vince was and why he has to stay in Europe. 

It was already five in the afternoon when the rain stopped and the guests decided to bid their goodbyes to Lola Regina and her apo.