Chapter 30 | past living

UNEDITED SORRY

E

I walked into the large mansion with my head held high. This year would be different, I wasn't going to let them pick me apart like they did every year. The more I looked at the people around me, the more I realized how empty they all really were. Every woman in the room seemed to either have their arm linked in a mans or a drink in their hand. None standing by themselves. After years of observation you learn how fearful these people really are, how materialistic they really are. With their obnoxious dresses & sleek suits, me & Ophélia stood out like a sore thumb. I loved it, Ophélia how ever wasn't able to lose that shade of red from her cheeks. Once we made it into the dining hall Ophélia's grip on my arm seemed to tighten. I turned my head toward her once I felt her poke  my side.

"You said this was a casual party!"

"It is."

"These women are wearing fucking ball gowns & I'm wearing some old jacket with a pair of jeans!"

"Yeah, & you still look a thousand times better than all of them combined." She rolled her eyes as she shifted her face away but I could still see the small smile forming on her lips. She seemed to relax once she saw another girl, my cousin Candace, wearing a simple pair of black jeans, a white tee, a wind breaker, & some converse. My entire family considered her a boy since she refused to dress feminine. When ever someone would comment on her style she would flick them the bird & walk away, another reason why she was my favorite relative. Recently her family nearly kicked her out after she cut all of her hair off, leaving a hair cut much like Grayson's except it obviously looked better on Candace. She approached us with a relaxed smile, but to anyone that knew her, it was a fake smile. From the corner of my eye I could see a man in his mid 40s staring at Ophélia, intently. He caught me staring & averted his gaze quickly.

"Ethan, girl I've never met before, this party is officially the most uneventful yet." Ophélia chuckled.

"I wanna see some action like last year." Candace shoved my elbow.

Ophélia looked between us confused.

"Candace fought Faye last year, over some beans." Ophélia tried to fight back a chuckle.

"It was more than beans alright? That girl couldn't keep my name out of her mouth." Candace realized something & stuck her hand out to Ophélia.

"Oh! Sorry I'm Candace, family dyke, third most creative, & not actually a dyke." I could tell Ophélia was already taking a liking to Candace since she unlinked her arm from mine.

"I'm Ophélia, & I'm just here for the food & cause he bombarded me at my apartment." The two girls laughed.

"Well, than you've come to the right place, now if you'll excuse me I'm gonna go to the little dykes room." Once me & Ophélia were left alone she was visibly much more relaxed & upbeat.

"I think I have a crush on your cousin."

"Well hate to break it to you, but she's as taken as they come. Girlfriend lives in California. They see each other every other weekend."

"Well that's nice. I couldn't do that though."

"Fear of commitment or lack of motivation?" I asked jokingly.

With a slightly serious face, she said, "maybe both, but who knows."

-

The rest of the night had become pretty uneventful except for the constant disapproving glances from my father, but I don't think Ophélia noticed. My mom was glancing too, but they were curious. It was only until Faye showed up with Grayson a little later when tension really started to build. Neither me or Ophélia had heard about any charges being pressed, but that doesn't mean she wasn't planning anything. Her eye was still swollen but she seemed to cover the rest of her face up pretty well with makeup.

"So Ophélia, what company do your parents own." She choked on her food slightly.

"My mom doesn't own any companies." Raised eyebrows spread over almost everyone's face. I heard my father say a low, "clearly." I balled my fists & I could feel my ears heat up, but I kept my mouth shut.

"What about your father?" She moved around uncomfortably but kept her posture. "I don't know my father." The same man that was glancing at Ophélia earlier tonight excused himself. I watched him as he walked up the stairs & eventually was out of sight. That would be the last time I see him.

"Where do you live?" My father said.

"Bushwick." He forced back a laugh followed by multiple snickers around the table.

"No way I live in Bushwick too." Candace said. Her mom rolled her eyes beside her. "Yes & look how well you've come out." I glanced at Ophélia to see her staring right at Candace's mom.

"I say we both ended up well." She said as she shoved a piece of stake in her mouth. I smirked as I set my hand on her thigh. Candace's mom only responded with a tight lip smile.

"Both violent, now we know Bushwick is to blame," Faye said with a smirk as she looked right at Ophélia.

"On second thought there's probably other factors." I could see Ophélia's hands balling into a fist underneath the table. I grabbed ahold of her hand to try & calm her.

Before it could get any more uncomfortable, the dinner ended & everyone dispersed to their own parts of the house. I dragged Ophélia to a private part of the house.

"I am so sorry I should've warned you-"

I was cut off by her arms wrapping around me.

"Thank you Ethan."

"For what?"

"For not letting me be alone on Christmas." I smiled as I kissed her cheek.

"You know there's a party on New Years, did you wanna go with me?" She pulled back so she could look at me.

"Is it at Zac's house?"

"How'd you know?"

"Because he has a New Years party ever year," She said with a chuckle.

"But I'll go, can't keep living in the past right?"

||||

Happy New Years guys! I'm gonna post the new year chapter tomorrow cause I'm spending time with my family today...

Love you guys 💞