Chapter 27 | I must be crazy

O

I woke up greeted by silence. I looked around confused as to why I would be laying in a field of grass next to the highway when the memories of earlier tonight flooded my brain. How could I do that?

I've never gotten like that, not even when Faye got Ethan to do heroine. Every time something good happens in my life I'm always the one to screw it up. Now here I was laying in a pile of grass next to the highway. I tried to get up but my head began pounding the second i lifted my head. All of my body hurt, specifically my fists. I lifted them up to my eyes to get a better view, despite the heavy feeling that was protesting. They were completely purple, almost blue. There were cuts all over them. Looking down at my clothes there was blood droplets all over my shirt, some even on Dakotas jacket. The thought of Dakota seeing me right now only brought tears to my eyes. Eventually I was full on sobbing in a ditch. I just wanted my brother.

"I'm right here." The sound of that voice made every inch of me stop functioning. It was all in my head, it had to be.

"You're not real, it's just my imagination." I felt a slight breeze walk past me. I was scared to open my eyes, because I knew if I did than I truly would be crazy. But I did anyways. And all I could do was gasp. How was he standing in front of me right now?

"You're not real." I said, but it seemed like I was trying to convince myself more than anything. "I'm here Ophélia." I jumped when I felt a hand on my knee. I looked at his hand & let my eyes wander upwards until they stopped right at his neck.

He was wearing my jacket. His jacket.

When I looked into those dark brown eyes I knew I was crazy. But I didn't care, because he was here, no matter how long.

I sat up & blinked a few times to see if he would disappear.

He didn't.

I reached out to him & hugged him, thankful that I could feel him. I sobbed on his shoulder, a mix of shame, sadness, & relief. Dakota was with me. I was actually seeing him. I was feeling him.

"I missed you Dakota."

"I missed you too Ellie." I clutched his jacket in my hand. It had been so long since I heard that nickname, so long since it was his voice to actually call me that. It had been so long since I heard his voice that I almost forgot what he sounded like.

"You're gonna be okay Ellie."

"I'm not so sure if I will be." He let go so he could face me.

"You will. I'll be there, every step of the way guiding your fate. I will always be there."

"But this isn't real. I want you here with me, not only when I'm having a breakdown. I want to hear your irritating jokes & your contagious laugh. I can't do this without you Dakota."

"You won't Ellie, I'll be there. I'm always with you even when you've lost all hope, just know that I'm there. This is only a small portion of your life. You can't let any of this define you, you can't let it take over you."

"But it's all I've known."

"My life was all I knew too, but I was wrong. It was only a small portion, I still had the rest of my life. & you will too." Another tear fell from my eye only to be caught by Dakotas finger. He gave me a soft kiss on my forehead, & one last hug, until he was gone. Surprisingly I didn't feel as sad as I thought I would. All I could feel was calm. It was a slight feeling of closure but not quite closure. Something more, because I knew it wouldn't be the last time I'd see him. I laid back down on the grass & let the night devour me whole. That was interrupted when headlights shined on me. Someone was stepping out of the car but the lights blinded me from seeing them. The silhouette was definitely a male figure, & I wondered if it was Dakota.

"Ophélia?" Guess I was wrong.

||

Two chapters heck ya

Merry Christmas guys I hope you all have a great time with your families :) 💞