¢нαρтєя ѕєνєи

¢нαρтєя ѕєνєи

Thace hid behind the wall, his heart beating rapidly as soldiers ran down the hallway, briefly sucking in his breath to avoid detection. He got to the main storage unit were the fighter ships were kept and took one for himself, throwing in his duffel bag of necessary essentials and activating the unit.

Goodbye. I never want to be associated with this cruelty again, Thace thought to himself, pressing a button. The exit was within his reach, and without a moment of hesitation, took his leave (which he knew wouldn't go down without a fight). If anyone tried to get in his way...

They knew what was coming to them.

"I'm not going back...i'm never going back. No one can make me go back there, not now...not ever. This is my home now."

Thace washed his face to make it look like he hadn't been crying, but he knew he wouldn't be able to fool the princess with the act, Rhilemians could sense emotions. Looking into the mirror, he studied himself, remarking at how horrid it was for him to be so upset.

I was part of the Empire...I could have helped so many people, but I let my fear for Zarkon consume me. Not anymore, never again will I be forced to fight. If I am to fight, it will be of my own will.

"Thace? Hey, are you in there? Thace? What's going on? Are you alright?"

Shiro didn't know what to say next, it was as if the fear Thace was feeling had reduced him to nothing, the emotion being so strong that it had damaged the Galra greatly.

"Now is not the best time to be around me, Shiro." Thace said, wanting the floor to suck him down into a plain abyss so he wouldn't have to feel the pain. "Please, leave me be."

"But everyone's worried about you." Shiro said, feeling sorry for the tortured soul. "They're your friends, Thace, they want to be there for you. Doing this isn't going to help. Whatever happened to you in the past I...." he took a moment before sighing. "please, open the door."

"I'm afraid I cannot do that, child." Thace replied, shaking his head. "When my fear takes over like this, I have to be by myself, so that I can calm down. If I don't, I lose my mind completely. I can't allow that to happen, not for any reason."

Shiro didn't want to just simply give up, but he figured it would have been best to respect Thace's wish and leave him alone.

"He's not coming out?" Nyma asked, her expression sympathetic for the person she saw as a second father, someone who looked after her in her time of need, someone she could confide in and keep secrets with.

"No," Shiro shook his head, looking at the door briefly before turning his view to Nyma. "How often does he usually have these episodes?"

"Up until now," Nyma began, explaining the situation. "i'd say he's been fine for at least a few months. It was only been since you've been staying here that he's been having them. I'm not saying it's your fault, it definitely isn't. But I can't help but have the feeling that Thace knows something we don't, something that's linked to his past."

"Which is why he won't tell anybody about it. You could be on to something there, Nyma. So he's really never said anything about what happened to him?"

"He doesn't mention anybody. Family, friends, potential next of kin...he just keeps saying that 'the past is in the past' and that he has to move forward. I don't think it's helping him at all, and he won't confide in any of us, neither does he ask us for help. But that's just him, he's naturally independent."

"I see." Shiro nodded, man, he was definitely going to have a hard time connecting the pieces of the puzzle together. Thace had made it clear that he and his friends were allies, but...

It's clear to me that Zarkon has caused him pain, given how he kept saying 'damn you, Zarkon'. What kind of misery that may be, i'm not sure. And he hasn't mentioned anything about family or friends...no, that can't be right, can it? Is it possible...no, I can't jump to conclusions right now, i've gotta try and think about this more before asking him any questions. I respect anyone's privacy just as much as the next person, but if he could get whatever he's hiding off his chest, it might make him feel better.

"Come on, why don't we leave him alone for now and come back later. We need to go do some hunting, otherwise we're gonna have no food for the next week. We're already running a little low as it is so if we can get more; the better it'll be for us.

"Hunting? Wait, how does that work? It doesn't look like there are any animals on this planet, let alone ones we can actually eat."

"What?" Nyma raised a brow. "It's not that difficult to hunt on this planet, then again i'm an ex-bounty hunter, so hunting to me is pretty much all the same. There's weapons in the storage area, let's go get them. You'll be surprised on how big this place actually is, and luckily for us, we haven't had any unexpected attacks recently."

"That's good, I guess. So, which way to the storage area?" Shiro asked, he was still trying to get used to the new surroundings of Telenum's ship, and also the fact that there were old and new faces around. He was sure he'd get used to it soon, it didn't take him long to adapt.

*****

"Okay," Nyma demonstrated on how to use the sword in her hands. "You make the cut, turn the blade a little and then Bob's your uncle, we have ourselves some meat we can use. You ready to try it out?"

"I guess so." Shiro said, taking the sword into his hands.

Come on, Shiro. You got this. Make the cut, turn the blade and that's it. It can't be that hard, right? It's a little harsh on the animal, I know, but we need food. Otherwise we'll starve.

Quick yet quiet on his feet, Shiro took cover behind a rock, eyeing the beast that was in his sights. It kind of looked like a stag, only it's skin was dark blue and there were unusual markings on its body, finished by it having four large antlers instead of the usual two a stag on Earth had. It was a rather unusual sight, though Shiro couldn't help, but take in its features with amazement.

How can I kill something like this? It's a beautiful creature and it might have a family, it's not fair of me to take it away from its fawn or it's mate. Surely there's some sort of alternative? But...I suppose I have to do what I have to do to survive. This isn't a game, it's either we live, or we die.

Shiro crept towards the creature, being careful not to make any kind of sudden noise. When he was close enough, he raised his sword and prepared to make the fatal blow, stabbing the creature once and watching apologetically as it cried out in pain. Landing another hit, the stag was down within minutes, and Nyma came over to make the all important kill. Wiping her forehead free from the creature's blood, she eyed Shiro.

"I'm sorry; I could tell you were hesitant just by looking at it. I shouldn't have asked you to do this; I should have taken care of it."

"We have to do what we have to do to survive, right? That's how the world works. What are we gonna do with the parts we don't need?"

Nyma thought for a moment, coming up with an idea almost within a second.

"Well, we could use the skin for spare blankets; I heard that these creatures have really soft fur, so it'll be perfect for bed covers. Thace will take care of the more gory part; he's an expert on that kind of thing. As for everything else, i'm not sure on what we should do. I'm sure we'll think of something, but right now we have to get this back to the ship. These bad boys take a long time to cook."

Shiro didn't feel like eating after what he had done, he'd assisted in ending the innocent creature's life, and now he couldn't help but feel guilty, almost ashamed of himself. How could he eat knowing that had done something so horrible? He'd have to find a way, making himself starve wouldn't be good for him.