Chapter Thirteen

(Piano version of What Hurts The Most by Rascal Flatts. Not gonna lie, I listen to this on repeat as I wrote this chapter. And I may or may not shed one or two tears. I'm a very emotional person!....)

September 26 , 1997

London

Liam (10 years old)

I yawned as my grandmother pulled the blanket over my body. Blake was sound asleep on the other bed in our wide bedroom. However, I chuckled quietly at him. He was sleeping with one of his leg dangling over the edge of the bed while his arms was over his head, his mouth wide open. My grandmother followed my gaze before shaking her head with a slight beautiful smile on her nude lips. 

"Oh boy. He turns into monkey when he's asleep." she mumbled quietly in a feather like voice before getting up and walked towards his bed. 

Blake was my best friend. He didn't have a mother or a father, when we first met he was covered in dirt and his clothes was ripped and barley visible with all the gray and brown disgusting dirt. He was a lost boy in a dark street, starving for days and had sleepless nights. My grandmother had found him accidentally when she and my grandfather had attended a significant event. Blake happened to be near when my grandparents was leaving. My grandmother had a kind and big heart, unlike my grandfather and father who rather hide their emotions. And the moment she saw Blake she took him in as her own son. I didn't mind it. In fact I was beyond exited to have someone to play with and talk to other than all the adults. Blake didn't talk much. It took him three years to finally let his guard down and we became best friend for real. We trusted each other and there was no doubt he would be my partner when I took over the place as Mafia Boss. 

Blake never talked about his parents because he didn't remember them. He didn't even know why he ended up in street at seven year old. It sadden him that he wasn't missed by his family but since he stepped inside our Estate, I and grandmother had given him food, clothes, bed to sleep on and kindness. 

I didn't know how it must feel to not have a mother and  a father. I was blessed that both my parents lived with me and acknowledge me. 

"Grandmother, where's Blake's parents? Don't they love him? I mean they are his mother and father." I stated to grandmother as she came back and sat beside me on the bed in front of me, her warm hand wrapped around my small one. 

"Oh my child, do know what?" she asked, her brown hair with a slight silver hair lines fell down her shoulder in loose waves, her blue eyes that remembered me of crystal blue sky bore into mine in all seriousness. "A child needs to be surrounded by warmth and love no matter if the family is biologically his or hers. You don't need to call a woman your mother just because she gave birth to you. You don't need to call a man your father just because he happens to be you real father. If they don't show the love, the warmth and trust to their own child then they are most definitely not trustworthy parents. Blake calls me mother because he trust me, I have given him a place in my heart because I have earned the title. He doesn't think of his real family because we are his family and that's enough for him." 

"Oh." I managed to say, overwhelmed by what she said. Grandmother smiled and kissed me in the forehead before standing up. 

"Always remember that." she softly tells me before she bent down and kissed me on my forehead. "Go to sleep, my child." 

I smiled and felt as my eyes began to close. I heard her shutting the door quietly and before I knew it I was drawn into a  deep sleep. 

***