Chapter Three

Look at this cover!! ISN'T IT AMAZING??? This is officially the first cover I have received for the story! THANK YOU SO MUCH @Vanillascone I LOVE IT!

***

July 4, 2016

"Vanessa Miller, I'm calling from the hospital. It seems that your sister has been in a car accident and we need you to come here immediately."

Car accident.

Layla.

Car accident.

Layla.

"Oh God." I whispered as tears filled my eyes, threatening to fall. "W-which hospital?"

"Manhattan Hospital-" before she could talk any further I ended the call.

I ignored the tray that was laying on the floor along with the stares that were directed at me. I heard my name being called but I didn't know who it was nor did I care as I rushed out from the party. The only thing that was on my mind was Layla. She could be hurt. My sister was hurt, probably bruising with pain, and I was here and not beside her. Droplets of tears caressed my cheeks as I ran through the big lobby.

"Vanessa? Why are- Wait Vanessa!" I heard Melissa's voice. She was standing just a few feet away from me dressed in the most gorgeous silver dress. She was probably heading to the party. However, when she saw the state I was in, her steps halted.

I didn't stop. I couldn't lose time. I needed to be with my sister. She needed me.

Finally stepping into the cold air of Manhattan I groaned in frustration as I realized it's next to impossible to hail a cab at this late hour. The day had turned darker and people were walking both ways of Manhattan's street. The lights from the shops in every corner were lit, cars were driving making their usual sound. It was busy as usual. The chilly air touched my exposed naked arms and legs, making me shiver in cold.

I stood on the edge of the street, stretching my arm out to stop any cab that was driving by. But all were busy. Already taken. With each passing minute, my ability to breath lowered, tears kept falling down my face as I kept brushing them away with the back of my hand. Every now and then my vision became blurry, the tears darkened my eyes.

"Vanessa! Vanessa, what's happening, why are you crying?" I heard a soft voice say. But I didn't turn around to see who it was, my mind already occupied with the thought of Layla being in pain. It shattered my heart into pieces.

Suddenly I was pulled back, a little too fast but still gentle. I found myself crushed into a solid hard chest. Rigid muscled arms were now rounding my small waist, the touch made my body melt, a wave of protectiveness invaded my body making me feel safe, and my mind suddenly calmed down. His touch made me calm down, my sobbing slowed down but my heart kept beating a thousand times harder. Slowly I let my eyes gaze up into the most beautiful silver eyes I've ever seen and it felt like I was whole again. Those eyes managed to comfort me.

"Vanessa. You need to breath in and out." My mind understood what he was saying and I felt myself inhaling and exhaling several times until I gained control of my body. My hands were gripping his grey suit jacket tightly like I was going to die if I let it go.

One of his hands stroked my back in slow gentle motions making me breath softer.

"Now tell me. What's going on?" He spoke with a soft tone, almost like he was afraid something would happen to me if he used a harsher tone.

"It's Layla. Layla, she is-s in the hospital. S-she's hurt, Liam. I n-need to go to h-her." I stuttered out not sure if he understood what I was saying.