Chapter One

July 1, 2016

Vanessa

Running late. Again. I mentally slapped myself as I hurried through the heavy and hectic crowd of Manhattan. People were everywhere, even at eight pm. Then again it was Friday. This was an excuse to get crazy with friends or being so drunk that you can't even remember where you live. The one thing I hated was people being drunk.

I sighed in relief as I saw the building I worked at – a tall luxury and expensive building - right in front of me. Manhattan Hotel. It was a five star hotel where you happen to catch a glimpse of famous celebrities. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, we had to play it cool. Like seeing Brad Pitt was a daily routine for us. Whatever that means. I still had the pen he had used safe and sound under my pillow. Away from my crazy sister.

The hotel is so big that it had its own shops from well-known brands, bars and restaurants. I got hired as a waitress. Working in a five star hotel is extremely lucky for me, due to the fact my mom wasn't in the best condition. In order to feed myself, my sister and my mother, I had to take a job. They paid me good. Better than other jobs I had before.

As I came near the hotel I saw a black sleek car, that I believe was a Mercedes. Beside the passenger door stood a driver dressed in an all black suit and a pair of black shades hiding his eyes. His frame was powerfully built with bulging muscles, his body straight and tense. Head shaved, face clean he looked scary with his thin lined lips. He seemed to be looking straight ahead not caring at who was passing by to look at him. He looked like the guards you would see in London, only he didn't have a weird long black hat attached over his head.

Giving him one last glance, I quickly made my way inside the hotel. The cold air hit my skin, making my warm body cold. I sighed dreamily at the amazing fresh smell that hit my nostrils. I made my way towards one of the elevators and clicked the button. The restaurant alone was on the fifth floor. The Manhattan Hotel was extremely large with over 20 floors. If someone was going to spend their night here, they had to be loaded with money or be a famous celebrity. It was extremely expensive.

Five minutes later I was on the fifth floor making my way to the women's dressing room in the back. The restaurant was elegant and clean. It was modern. Small yet beautiful chandeliers hung over each table, the tables were nicely done with white flower vases sitting in the middle. A piano was in the corner, a handsome male pianist was playing a soft melody giving the whole restaurant a relaxing, comfortable but also elegant atmosphere. Waitresses stood at every corner, if the guests needed anything.

"You're late. Again." Was the first thing Logan uttered out as I sprinted inside the dressing room. I immediately went to my small locker and pressed the right code. Logan didn't care if this was the lady's dressing room, he just welcomed himself in.

"That's why you love me." I smiled as I took off my light jacket and hung it inside the locker. I took my white long sleeved button down shirt from the hanger and started to put it on.

"You're right, babe. At least I'm not alone on the whole 'running late' thing. I mean the boss is starting to get annoyed, like what's his problem all of a sudden? I mean he's hot but really? People do have a life."

"And a job. Besides, this will be the last time. No more running late."

"Keep telling your sister that."

I sighed. My little sister, Layla, was what you can call a bad girl. She had her whole future ahead of her yet she chose to mess around in the streets with her so called 'friends', getting drunk, going to countless clubs with a fake ID and hooking up with random strangers. Sometimes when she was in a really bad mood, she would do something crazy which only led her to getting arrested and sitting behind bars until I found out about it and got her out. Currently she was attending Colombia University, however she didn't take the whole studying part seriously. From time to time I had to force her to sit down and get some work done, even though I don't fully understand journalism which was her major, I always made sure to sit down beside her and try to help her as much as I could. That was also the reason why I was late. We were up all night completing her assignments. She had failed some classes and needed to at least pass them if she wanted to continue with her studies.