• SIX •

Alden

I am looking at the lock charm hanging on the leather bracelet around my wrist.    I am sitting by the gate in the airport waiting for my flight.

I miss her.  I miss her smile, I miss how she makes me laugh.  If I think hard enough and breath deep, I can smell her too. 

Geez!  I had it really bad.

"Alden, oh, wala akong makitang ibang protein bar, ito lang."  Sam said, handing me two pieces of protein bar.  "Uy!" He sat beside me, nudging my side.

"Hay naku Sam, hind ka papansinin nyan.  Nag-e-emo na naman yan o!"  MamaTen commented, lip pointing at my fingers, playing with the lock charm.

"Alden,  alam ko naman na kahit na ulit ulitin ko, hindi ka naman makikinig.  Pero, don't you think it's about time na mag-move on ka na?  It's been four years.  A lot has happened."

I look at both of them and just sighed.  I know it's been four years since that memorable day I spent with Katie, or M as she signed her initial on the note she left for me.

"I told you, as long as I have this," I lifted my wrist, showing them the bracelet, "I know she's out there, with the key." 

"But what if she's moved on? I mean four years is four years.  Malay mo may asawa na sya and may mga anak na, may pamilya na?" 

"Don't say that Sam!"  I said, irritably.  I get up from my seat and walk towards the windows that looks out to the tarmac.

They know that I hate it when they say that.  Just the thought of M with another man makes me so mad.  I am still hoping and praying that I will see her again.  I still feel like something happened that she needs to leave right away.

I stayed for another day looking for her after she left.  I asked the front desk for her information but was told that they don't have a registration under Katie or Katherine.  I walk the streets of Rome again, hoping that I will find her, but to no avail.

Everyday after that day, I searched the internet looking for pictures that may have her in it.  I really regret not taking a photo of her or just even a photo with her in it.  There is one actually,  at the Trevi Fountain, but she is not facing the camera and it was dark since it was late in the evening when we went there. At least with that photo, I have proof that she existed and is not just a figment of my imagination. 

"Alden, they're calling our flight.  Let's go."  Sam informs me, giving me my backpack.  I am boarding first since I am flying business class. 

I walk up the the line and handed my boarding pass to the gate agent.

"Enjoy your flight Mr. Faulkerson."  She tells me as she give me back my boarding pass.

I found my seat and situated myself for a sixteen-hour long flight. 

~~~~~>•<~~~~~

"Flight attendants, please prepare for landing."  The pilot announced.

I turned off my iPad and removed my earphones. It was a pleasant flight.  I slept for almost eight hours listening to the songs I saved in my playlist.   I was able to watch two movies and was able to binge watch on the series I am following.