• FIVE •

Alden

I look at Katie as she closes her eyes and tosses the coin over her shoulders, wondering what she wished for.

The Trevi Fountain is such a romantic place especially at night. There are a lot of couples around doing what couples do.

"So this is it?" Katie tells me, after we toss the coin and made our wish to the Trevi Fountain.

"What? No!" I said, I don't really want this day to end. I have to think of something.

"Wait I have something for you." I tell her, remembering the bracelets, mommy Rose has included in the envelope she gave me.

"What is it?"

"Hold out your hand." I instructed her.

She did as told, I placed my palm over hers and moved it upside down so I am looking at the back of her hand. I opened my other hand showing her the two leather bracelets that holds a key and a lock on the other.

"Where did you get these?" She asked, taking the bracelets from me. Her nails scratching my palms, sending shivers over me.

"A lady from the hotel arranged for my day today and she told me that I should be mindful of the people I am going to meet today. I also asked about these bracelets, she only told me that I will be needing it later. So, I think this is what she meant by later."

I take the bracelet that has the key charm from her and puts it on her wrist.

"When I first got this, I was really confused and couldn't understand what the lady meant, but now, I think I know why. She knows that I am going to meet someone today who is going to touch my life in a very different way. Meeting you today is out of the ordinary. And what we did today is something that I have never done before. I am giving you this key, because you are the only person who was able to unlock me. You gave me my freedom. I learned to enjoy life again and I am pretty sure you unlocked my heart too."

Whoa! Where did that came from? Did I just really say that?

"That's a very nice thing to say Enzo. I shouldn't accept this, but I will. This is very special." She said, touching the key charm on her wrist. "Every time I look at this, I will remember this day," she tells me, touching my cheek, "and I will remember you."

Why do I have this feeling that she is already saying goodbye? I just can't let this day end like this.

"Let's go to dinner." I announced.

"But we're done with all the sites, dinner is not part of it." She explains.

"I know, but let's end this very memorable day with dinner, please." I stepped closer to her, feeling her warmth.

"Please," I begged, caressing her cheeks with the back of my hand.

"Alright, dinner then, but I will pay." She finally agreed, but with condition.

"Okay." I let out a deep sigh, I thought our day has ended, but of course I will not let her pay.

"Let's look for a nice restaurant around here, or would you rather go somewhere closer to your hotel?" I asked her.