• TWO •

Maine

"I am going out!" I announced.

The day is beautiful and I am not going to get stuck in our hotel room just because my two best friends are dead drunk!

I gaze out the room's window and I see tourists going about their day, taking a photo of the magnificent ruins before them.

"Guys! Come on let's go out!" I look at Isabella and then to Frances, no reaction. They are really dead-sleeping.

They came in yesterday, no scratch that. They came in this morning at four, giggling and stumbling at their own feet.

We are here in Rome, celebrating our success in finishing graduate school. We have planned this since we met three years ago at Northwestern University in Chicago.

We arrived yesterday afternoon and as soon as our airplane landed on the soils of Italy, my migraine started, welcoming me. And that is the reason why I didn't join them when they went out for dinner last night.

And so today, I woke up feeling refreshed.  It's only eight in the morning, I'm sure if I start walking around, I will be able to explore more of the ruins. My friends doesn't want to do any touristy stuff, 'we just want to meet some hot Italian guys', they said. That was their main purpose of coming here.

I put on my  Tom Ford high-top lace up sneakers and Gucci embroidered leather bomber leather jacket on, put my camera strap around my neck, check my Prada Tote if all the things I need were there and sling the long strap across my body and left the room. 

I know, I know, you may say that I am all designers but that's my only vice.  I don't drink (for now), I don't smoke, and I don't do drugs.  I am a very good daughter and student.  In fact,  I graduated two years ahead of everyone else.

My mom, she's my enabler for this high-end fashion brands.  She's a Filipina surgeon/model, born and raised in America. My parents are both surgeons. My mom is an orthopedic surgeon while my dad is a cardiologist. I live a very comfortable life because of that.

When I went to graduate school and was granted scholarship, they both decided to retire and joined this group of medical missionaries. Right now they are in Argentina.

My mom's parents are Filipinos in all aspects of being a Filipino. They eat rice for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Pasta is only for snacks and they have to have the Filipino channel in their cable.

I remember growing up, when they have to babysit me, I watch this Filipino variety show at exactly twelve noon on the dot. They tried to teach me the language but since both my parents are born and raised here, I am an English-speaking Filipino American.

I love my grandparents, they are the best.  They are funny, witty and they love me to death too.

I smiled, thinking of them. I miss hearing their voice every Saturday morning, that's when my grandma will call and check on me. Now, they are both in heaven, watching over me.

My dad, on the other hand, is raised by his father. His mom decided that she couldn't live and be lonely in America so she left my grandad six months after my dad was born.

It seems like this is going to be an interesting day really. I can feel it already from across the lobby.  I saw two males, more of gay guys, in front of the hotel front desk.  I wonder if they are Filipinos. From the looks of it, they are infuriated as they talk to the front desk agent.  The taller guy is holding a piece of paper and he's waving it in front of the other smaller more chunkier guy.  They have their luggages with them,  hmm,  probably problem with their flight.