Chapter 24

LAST CHAPTER

TRIGGER WARNING IN FRANK'S FLASHBACK

Where we gonna go? He's got us pinned!
Baby, I'm a little scared
Now, don't you quit
He's sounded the alarm, I hear the sirens closing in.

Our paper faces flood the streets,
And if the heat comes close enough to burn then we're burning this place to the ground 'cause...

You'll never take us alive
We swore that death will do us part
They'll call our crimes a work of art
You'll never take us alive
We'll live like spoiled royalty, lovers and partners,
Partners in crime
Partners in crime

~~

I was laying on my stomach, playing with my toy cars. I made little engine noises, making one go of the ramp and pretend it's flying. I stood up, making it fly as I giggled. It was a new car that I just got for my second birthday last week from my dad.

We had a big party! It was so much fun! My mommy and daddy were there and my aunt and cousins! Even some friends from the playground! It was so much fun, there was a chocolate cake with a big dinosaur on it.

"Frankie, I'm going out to the store," my mom said.

"'Kay, mommy," I said, hurrying over to give her a hug and kiss. "I wove you."

"Love you too, sweetheart," she said.

She walked out and I pressed my car against the wall, making the engine noises again as I drove it all along the walls around the room.

"Frankie!" My dad called.

I went into his office where he was sitting at his desk, crawling up onto his lap with help from him. I felt him pull me closer and give me a kiss. It wasn't like when I kissed mommy, he said these were my big boy kisses.

He told me I wasn't allowed to tell anyone about my big boy kisses. They were our little secrets.

He kissed my shoulder gently and I looked at the toy car in my hands. I looked at the red paint. My dad told me what car it was but I forgot. I think it was a Porch or something like that? I put the Porch on the desk, driving it back and forth slowly.

I felt my dad hit my head and I whimpered, looking up at him.

"None of that now, Frank," he scolded.

"But daddy--"

He grabbed my toy truck, throwing it at the wall. I fell my eyes well up as I burst into tears.

"Shut up," my dad growled, hitting me again.

I cried as he pulled down my pants while I just closed my eyes and wished for mommy to come home.

-+-

I sat with Gee, watching cartoons with him. He wasn't high anymore, which I was actually kind of thankful for. I preferred him when he wasn't nodding off every five minutes. And I also preferred it when he wasn't throwing up.

"Daddy, do...do you have more heroin?" He asked.

I raised my eyebrows. "You want more?"

He nodded and I ran a hand through his hair.

"Are you addicted?" I asked.

"No," he denied. "I just...I just want more. It was so good last time."