Chapter 4

Emo to the extremo

~~

I held my pet hamster in my hand, petting the top of his head softly. My aunt had bought him for me for my fifth birthday last week. Jerry, my hamster, lived in a little cage on my dresser.

"Aren't you such a little thing?" I muttered, running a finger down his back. "So little, so much smaller and weaker than me."

I closed my hand around Jerry, tightening my fist around him as I heard his pained squeaks. I continued to squeeze him tighter and tighter, a small smile on my face. His body stopped squirming and he stopped crying. I looked at the dead hamster and smiled happily. I went out to where my mom was cooking dinner, holding Jerry out with a proud smile. My mom shrieked as she looked at the pet then at me.

"Frankie? What did you do?" My mom questioned. "Why would you hurt Jerry?"

"I think he's better this way," I said.

I laughed as I pet the top of his head, noticing the way my mom looked at me in horror.

-+-

I opened the basement door, heading down the steps as I turned on the light. It was the morning after I took Gee and I was coming down to check on him after the first night. Gee was still huddled into the corner, the stuffed kangaroo still in his arms. He was shivering from being down here in the cold basement without a blanket or pillow. Hell, he didn't even have sheets. He was only wearing a large black shirt and mint green panties.

"Morning," I greeted.

I looked at his scared figure, shaking and covered in goosebumps from the cold. I couldn't help but feel a little...guilty? I pushed that thought away and pulled the chair up again.

"Sweet dreams?" I asked teasingly.

"I-I have to pee," Gee whispered.

I sighed, running a hand down my face. I grabbed the key to his restraint, which I wore on a chain around my neck. I unlocked him, grabbing his elbow immediately to keep him from running off. I brought him up the stairs to the bathroom, standing outside as he went. When he was finished, I brought him back to the door of the basement. Gee pulled against my grip but that attempt was futile.

"Please, I don't wanna go down there, it's scary," he whimpered.

I pulled him onto the stairs but he still tried to get away. I picked him up, feeling him wrap his legs around my waist. He'd rather just have me carry him then end up falling down a flight of stairs from struggling. I set him onto the bed, chaining his ankle again.

"Now, I was gonna get you some food but you kept being difficult," I said.

His eyes widened and, as if on cue from the mention of food, his stomach started to growl. "I'm sorry, Fun Ghoul."

"Are you gonna be a good boy?" I asked.

Gee nodded, his stomach rumbling. I went upstairs, making eggs quickly and bringing them back down.

"I like my eggs scrambled," Gee remarked when he saw the sunny side up eggs.

I raised an eyebrow, turning the plate over and letting the eggs fall on the floor. His eyes widened as he realized his mistake and I turned to walk away. I shut off the lights and he was in the dark again.

Lunch came and went and soon it was nighttime again. I've been ignoring Gee's cries, apologies and pleas coming through the floor as I continued to ignore him. But then soon night went by and it was morning again.