Fifty-Nine: Arrival

[Ashton]

"Ashton, man, wake up," I feel someone shake me gently. I open my eyes and see the boys and I realize where I am.

"It's a nurse," Calum says.

I sit up hate straight and see a nurse at the door looking at me.  I stand up and we all walk to her.

"So, I have good new and bad news.  The bad news is that there were some complications with the pregnancy and we have to deliver the babies early, which can sometime be detrimental to the baby's health. Also, Rebecca cannot give a natural birth, because it could be detrimental to her health, as well. However, the good news is that we are able to give her an emergency c-section and it may allow a healthy birth for her and the babies. We would have to start right away, though. Which one of you is the father?"

The boys look at me.

"Well, the biological father is in prison for kidnapping, rape, and a few other charges. I am her boyfriend, though, and I will be signing adoption papers and will help raise the children."

"Ah, yes, she mentioned that, and we have the papers ready.  We usually don't allow non-family in the delivery room, but this is a special case, so you can come."

"Tell her we love her," Michael smiles.

I nod and follow the nurse to the delivery room.  We walk in and I immediately rush to Bec's side.

"Rebecca, oh my gosh, are you alright?" I hold her hand gently and kiss her forehead.

"Yeah," she smiles. "Our babies are coming early."

"I know," I smile. "Everything's going to be okay."

"The doctor already gave me the medicine, and I can't feel anything below my chest," she laughs.

Before I can respond, a doctor and a few nurses come in the room.

"Alright, Ms. Mitchell, are you ready?" The doctor asks.

"Ready as I'll ever be," Bec chuckles lightly. I can hear the nervousness in her voice.

I squeeze her hand gently and she smiles at me. 

****

"Just a little bit longer," I smile at Rebecca. The birth went terrifically, and now we are waiting for the nurses to check their vitals.  We've been waiting for a little while and we've had enough time to fill out the adoption papers. Now, they just need to be mailed to the courthouse, but the hospital will do that.  Rebecca decided she wants the babies to have my last name, since she and I both know that we will be together forever, and I honestly couldn't be happier. 

Mason Fletcher and Elouise (we still haven't decided on a middle name) were born November 20, at 12:46 AM and 12:48 AM, respectively.

It's now almost 3 AM and I'm honestly beginning to wonder why they're not back yet.

Just as the thought comes into mind, the door opens and in comes the doctor and a nurse with our newborn babies.

"And here are your new babies," Dr. Johnson and Nurse Kellye walk in with Mason and Eloise.

"The boy is surprisingly perfectly healthy," the doctor says. "It's very uncommon for a birth this early to have no health conditions."

He places him in Bec's arms and she  smiles down at him as I smile at both of them.

"What about Elouise?" I say to the doctor.

"Your baby girl," he pauses. "Well, she is physically healthy," he pauses again.

"But...?" Rebecca asks nervously.

"Elouise has down syndrome," he says and places the baby girl in my arms. Our beautiful baby girl.

"That just means she's special," I smile at Rebecca, who has a small smile on her face.

"I'm just so grateful that she has no big problems," she smiles.  I hear a small coo come from Elouise, followed by a giggle.

"We need to finish the birth certificates now," the doctor says. "We just need the names."

"Mason Fletcher Irwin for the boy," Rebecca says with a smile.  Another small giggle comes from Eloise.

Rebecca and I look at each other and smile.

"Joy," she says. "Elouise Joy Irwin."

"Beautiful," I comment with a wide grin.

[y'all i have no idea how this stuff works but like i said before, its my story, don't care😂]

"Alright, we'll give you two some time with your babies," he smiles and they put two clear little cribs beside the bed for the twins.

"Here, you take Elouise and I'll take Mason now," I smile. I place Elouise in Rebecca's arms and I take Mason. I touch his hand and he immediately wraps it around my finger. I smile spreads across my face.

"Ashton," Rebecca says in a soft voice. I look up at her.

"Yes, princess?"

"I'm a mom," she whispers with a smile.

"Yes you are," I smile.

"And you're, like, a dad."

"Well, not biologically, but I guess so."

"Ashton, you don't need to take part in making the child to be a dad. A father is someone who loves the child unconditionally and is always there to support them, and if you're willing to do that, the I'd say that makes you a dad."

I pause for a moment and take in her words before a smile spreads across my face again.

"I'm a dad," I reply happily.

A giggle comes from both Bec and Eloise, causing me to chuckle as well.

I let out a yawn and Mason does as well.

"Like father, like son," Bec chuckles. "Let's get some sleep."

I nod in agreement and I put both babies carefully into the two cribs. I then unfold a blanket that is laying on the back of the sofa against the wall. I lay down and throw the blanket on top of me.

"I love you, Ashton."

"I love you more, Rebecca," I smile even though she can't see.

"I love you most."

•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•

THE BABIES ARE HERE
I REPEAT
THE
BABIES
ARE
HERE

okay srsly though what do y'all think? i have a great plan for the end of the story.

i feel like i do that "i love you more/most" stuff too much, but i do it for a reason. plus it's my story so i do what i want.

PS I HAVE A SURPRISE COMING SOON SO STAY TUNED FOR THE AUTHORS NOTES AT THE END OF CHAPTERS