Forty-One: Back to School

[Rebecca]

It's been a week since I moved in with Ashton and the boys, and while I've been stuck at home, I've had the chance to finish all of the work that Danielle brought me that I missed while I was out, so I can graduate in a few weeks.

Today is my first day back, and I can honestly say I've never been more reluctant to go to school.

"Okay, if you have any trouble, just text me and I will come right away to pick you up," Ashton says as we stop in front of the school. "Oh, don't forget your excuse," He hands me the slip of paper my doctor gave me so I'm able to turn in all of my missing assignments.

I thank him and give him a quick hug and he kisses my forehead before I get out of the car and he drives off.  I hobble into the school and I can feel everybody's eyes burning into my skull.  Obviously, everybody had seen the news and keeps up with social media.

"Oh my gosh, hi!" a familiar blonde skips up to me in her usual pink mini-skirt, white tank top, and loose pink cardigan (I honestly think she has, like, 5 pairs of this outfit), along with two brunettes with similar outfits following closely behind her, a little too excitedly.

Cassidy Pierce is the leader of what I like to call "The Pinks".  They are the most popular girls in school, and like their name implies, they wear pink a lot.

The other two girls are twins. Hallie and Hayley Miller.  They used to be super sweet back in grade school, but they somehow befriended Cassidy. Nobody really knows how it happened, but it did.

The Pinks often sleep around. Not as much Hallie and Hayley as Cassidy, but they still do it a lot.  Cassidy has slept with almost every single guy on the football team. I hear she's currently working on her last victim, the goalie, Kaden Wills.

Not only are The Pinks the most popular and sluttiest girls in the school, they're also the meanest.  They are always picking on the quiet freshman and sophomores, and from time to time, they'll pick out some band geeks and nerds as well.  I don't fit any of those categories, but for some unknown reason, she has always bullied me as well.

That's why I'm so confused that she seems so happy to see me.

"Um, hello," I say, as more of a question.

"I missed you so much!" She sends me a huge fake smile and lazily wraps her arms around me, patting my back quickly before pulling away.

"Cassidy, you hate me," I remind her, raising an eyebrow.

"What?" she acts confused. "How could I hate you? You're just so pretty and talented!"

I feel a new presence beside me and turn my head to see Dani. I smile and greet her.  Cassidy simple continues and pretends like Dani isn't there.

"So, I've heard a lot has happened since we last met!"

I have a strong feeling she is speaking mostly of my relationship with Ashton.

"Uh, yeah," I reply, not knowing what else to say.

"So," she drags out the word with a grin, "When do we get to meet the new man?"

"Uh, why don't you just buy meet and greet tickets, I'm sure your parents would be willing to fork over a couple hundred," I say sarcastically, but of course I'm not letting her meet the boys.

"Oh, come on, bestie!" she pleads, but maintains a smile. "Daddy grounded me and took away my debit card," she huffs.

"Sorry, Cassidy, there's nothing I can do," I shrug and she frowns as the bell rings.

"Oh, well," she sighs. "Maybe we could hang out at the mall sometime? You could even bring your little friend Destiny!" she plasters the fake grin back on her face.

"Her name is Danielle," I correct her. "And sure, I'll check my schedule," I lie with a fake smile. "Now, I've got to get to class."

"Okay, by Becky!" She squeals as she skips off with Hallie and Hayley. 

"That was odd," Dani says as we walk down the hallway.

"Yeah, but I'm pretty sure she only wants to get in one if the boys pants," I snicker. Dani chuckles  "But I'm definitely not going to let that happen."

We say goodbye and we part ways as I hobble to my first class.

****

"That was the longest day of my life," I sigh as I hobble out of the school with a Danielle. "My foot is killing me."

"I'm sorry," Dani frowns sympathetically. "Do you still have medicine?"

"Yeah, it's at the flat," I reply. "I've got about 3 left."

"Well that's good," she replies. "You should go home and rest," she smiles. "I'm going to head home, do you need a ride?"

"No, I see Ash pulling in," I smile. "Thanks, though."

"Yeah, of course," she smiles. "Just call me if you need anything."

I nod in response as Ashton pulls up in front of me and people start to notice that he is here. He gets out of the car and walks around to help me and he greets me with a huge grin and a hug. I hug him tightly, careful not to drop my crutches. He kisses my forehead and takes my backpack from me and puts it in the back seat.

"How was your day?" he asks as he opens my door. I hear people 'aww' around us and I try my best to ignore it.

"It was weird, but okay I guess," I respond and begin to get in the car. Then, I hear a loud high pitches voice.

"Becky! Wait for me bestie!"

I jump a little and Ashton looks at me curiously.

"Ignore it, ignore it, just ignore it," I mutter quickly. "Let's go, quickly."

Ashton jogs to the drivers side of the car and gets in, starts the car and drives off. I glance back and see Cassidy standing on the pavement with her arms crossed and a grumpy frown on her face.

"What was that about?" Ashton asks.

"She's always bullied me, but it seems that now that she knows we're dating, she wants to be best friends or something," I roll my eyes.

"I'm guessing that was the 'weird' part you mentioned?" he chuckles.

"Yep," I laugh in response.

"So, are you hungry?" he asks, changing the subject.

I am pretty hungry, since I skipped breakfast and lunch, but at the same time, I really need to lose more weight.

"No," I lie, right as my stomach growls loudly. Come on stomach, pipe down, will you?

Ashton raises an eyebrow and frowns. I smile a small, guilty smile.

"Rebecca," he says, "you know you don't need to skip any meals. That's unhealthy."

"I know," I sigh heavily. "I just really want to lose weight."

"Well, then, we'll just find a gym nearby and we can workout together," he smiles.

"I guess," I send him a small smile.

"As of right now, though, what would you think about some pizza?"

"You know me so well," I grin.

•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•

i would like to thank my few loyal readers/commenters/voters (y'all know who you are!). Y'all are the only reason i'm still writing this story❤️ i really do appreciate y'all so much

~Hannah💕