Fifty-Eight: Emergency

November 19, 2016
(a few months after the completion of the SLFL tour)

[Ashton]

The tour was absolutely incredible, and I honestly miss the rush of being on stage performing for the people who make our success possible.

Right after tour, we all spent time with our families for a while.

Rebecca went back to visit her brother after we spent a month with my family, but didn't stay at the house. She took him out and he stayed with us until Bec's mum made Jake come home. Her mum is on a quick downhill slope. Bec is really worried about her. Jake said she's still mean and he doesn't go visit his father at all. I'm trying to convince Bec to take legal action, but she's too scared.

She's now almost 7 and a half months pregnant, and so far, it's gone well.

All of us, after about a month with our families, returned to our apartment in Brisbane and are very much enjoying our break.

"Ashton, c'mere!" Rebecca calls from the other room.

I stand up from the sofa and walk to her bedroom, where I find her in yoga pants and a sports bra, her large baby bump exposed.

"They're kicking," she giggles. I smile widely and sit beside her on the bed and place my hand on her stomach. I feel a couple kicks and I smile at her.

"It's so incredible," I say.

"It really is," she smiles in reply. "We still need to pick names."

"Do you have any in mind?"

"I'm not sure," she says. It's silent for a moment, as we are both in thought. "I like the name Elouise for a girl."

"Elouise," I repeat. "That's really pretty," I smile. "And you could make a lot of nicknames out of it, like El, Ella, Lou, Ellie," I trail off.

"Yeah!" she smiles and giggles. "Elouise... Elouise... I can't think of a middle name," she frowns.

"It's alright," I smile. "We still have a few weeks."

"Yeah, I guess so," a small smile forms on her face.

"What do you want to name the boy?" I ask.

"I want you to choose," she smiles.

"What?" I ask in surprise. She wants me to choose her baby's name?

"Yeah, it's our children after all," she giggles. "You're going to help raise them and adopt them, so that makes you the father."

I smile at her and kiss her forehead. "I've always wanted to name my kid Mason. Mason Fletcher."

"Mason Fletcher Irwin," she says. "I love it!"

"And I love you," I smile at her, my hand still resting on her stomach.

"And I love– aaagghh!" She yells in pain and holds her stomach.

"Rebecca?" I ask frantically, sitting up quickly. "Rebecca, babe, what's wrong?"

"I don't–aaagghh!!" She screams again, "I don't know!"

"What's wrong? I heard screaming?" Michael comes in the room panicked.

"Get my keys from the counter and start my car!" I instruct him. "We're going to the hospital, babe, I need you to breathe.  You're going to be okay."

She screams again.

"What's going on?" Luke and Calum step into the room.

"I don't know, but obviously something is wrong," I say, picking up Rebecca.

"Here, let me help," Luke says, placing two arms under Rebecca for extra support.

We walk out the door and quickly and carefully make our way to my truck.

I see Michael standing with his back pressed against my truck and he stands up straight when he sees us.

I gently place her in the passenger seat and buckle her seatbelt for her.

"I'll keep you guys updated," I say.

"What? No, we will meet you at the hospital," Calum says. Luke nods in agreement.

"I'm coming with you," Michael says as he gets into the back seat.

I nod my head and get in the drivers seat and start driving to the hospital.

"Ashton, it hurts!" Rebecca cries loudly. I take a quick glance at her and see tears streaming down her face and my heart breaks.

"Baby, we're almost there, just breathe," I hold my hand out and she grips it tightly.

When we pull into the hospital, I pull up directly in front of the emergency wing and both Michael and I step out and head to Rebecca's side after I shove my keys in my pocket.

I lift her gently and Michael helps (she wasn't too heavy, but the babies made it harder to carry her by myself).

We quickly rush into the building as Rebecca screams again, drawing all attention to us.

"We need help! Please!" I cry out.

A few nurses come out with a wheelchair.

"What's her name, how old is she, and how far along is she?" A nurse asks.

Rebecca screams in again, and I try to speak, but no words come out. It absolutely kills me to see her in so much pain.

"Her name is Rebecca Mitchell, she's turning 19 on December 1, and she's 7 and a half months along," Michael says.

"Are either of you related to her?" She asks.

"No, but we're the only family she has," I finally find my voice, but it's barely audible. She (the nurse) gives me a sad smile and Mikey and I put Rebecca into the wheelchair.

"Let's bring her back," a nurse says to another as they go back through the doors, pushing Rebecca in tue wheelchair. "We can get her to fill out the information when she is physically able."

I hear one last scream as they disappear into the hallway, the doors finally closing.

I feel a tear escape my eye and Michael places a hand on my shoulder I turn to him and he automatically pulls me in for a hug. We don't say anything, we just stand there in each other's embrace.

Finally, Michael speaks up.

"I'm going to go park the truck."

I hand him my keys and I collapse in the chair just as I see Luke an Calum walk in.

"Hey, man, she's going to be okay," Calum says.

"Bec is strong," Luke gives me a sad smile.

I nod, but I don't say a word. Instead, I close my eyes and fall asleep.

•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•