Eighteen: Confessions

[Rebecca]

"Is she going to be okay?" I hear a voice above me.

I notice I am laying on something soft, but I can't tell what it is. I decide to keep my eyes closed and listen to the conversation.

"Who was that guy?" another voice says. 

"That's not my place to tell," a voice I recognize as Dani's replies. "If she wants to tell you guys, she can."

Suddenly all of the events that just happened flooded back into my mind.

"He obviously was somebody pretty important," another voice says, "or at least used to be."

I slowly open my eyes and see the four boys and Dani crowding around me. I look around as I prop myself up on my elbow and see that I am in Dani's room. 

"What happened?" I ask, still confused as to why I'm in Dani's bed.

"You passed out back at the ice cream shop," Ashton says in a soft voice. I stretch a little before sitting all the way up.

I sit quietly for a second before Michael grabs Calum and Luke's arms and gently pulls them out of the room with him. He then gives me a small smile and shuts the door, so it's just Ashton, Dani, and me.

"Becca," Ashton's voice cracks. I look up at him and he is looking at me with sad eyes. "Who is that guy?"

Should I tell him? Obviously it means a lot for him to know. I guess I'm still just so afraid.
I'm just so used to people pretending to be my friends. For what reason? I'm not sure. But it's always happened. And I'm not used to people being so nice to me. It just all feels so weird. I just feel like I'm being used, but I'm not sure why.

So, yeah, it seems like I can trust him and that he is a real friend, but there's always that 'what if' in the back of my mind.

"Rebecca, you need to stop overthinking things. You have your walls built up so dang high that you can't see that Ashton is a good guy. He isn't like the other friends you've had in the past. You know he won't do anything to hurt you," Dani says sternly (well, as sternly as she can; she speaks pretty quietly). I look at her and sigh, because as much as I hate to admit it, I know what she is saying is true.

"I know," I whisper. "He is my ex-boyfriend," I can feel the tears forming in my eyes. "He was abusive— mentally and physically. I lived with him for a while, but moved back home when we broke up. Of course, my parents didn't really care. They never have. So I didn't tell them much of anything.

"He would tell me that I was ugly and worthless and just all these cruel things and I believed him. I never broke up with him because he said that it was love, and I believed him," by this point, I am bawling. I look up at Dani. She simply gives me a sad smile and left the room, leaving Ashton and I alone. Ashton pulls me close to him and I lay my head on his chest as I continued to pour my heart out to him. Why (that seems to be a question I ask myself often)? I have no clue.

"He would accuse me of cheating when I came home a few minutes late, but at the same time, he could cheat on me all the time and then say that 'it didn't mean anything' and our relationship 'is true love'. Dani finally brought me to my senses after 8 months and I left him. Sure, I'd left him plenty before, but I always went back. I guess I was just too scared.

"But I left for real that time. And I finally got him pushed to the back of my mind when I started talking to you."

We all sat in silence for a few seconds and I started I worry.

Ashton's not saying anything, what if this was all a mistake? What if he leaves me because he doesn't want to be friends with a broken girl with problems? Nobody wants to be friends with a broken girl with problems.

"I had a girlfriend," Ashton broke the silence. I looked up at him as he continued, "She would say all these mean things, kind of like Brady, and I believed her. I only stayed with her because she told me she loved me. She was the first girl who ever said that to me. So of course, I thought it was love. The boys finally made me realize that's not what a relationship is supposed to be like. Relationships are supposed to make you happy. They are supposed to be with someone who genuinely makes you happy and is there for you through everything, no matter what." Ashton looks down at me. I sit up a little more so we are looking at each other face to face. He grabs my hands and looks me in the eyes.

"I want to make you happy, Bec. I want to be able to tell you how beautiful you are and how perfect you are and how happy you make me. I want to be able to hold you close and call you mine. Will you let me do that?" He asks with a hopeful gleam in his eyes.

Whoa.
•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•_•
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY BABY ASHTON FLETCHER IRWIN❤️ ENJOY BEING 22, I LOVE YOU
okay Y'ALL
My baby cousin is being born today and I'm at the hospital right now. He's going to have the same birthday as Ashton!!!💕💕 I'm so excited!!
OH AND IDK IF WE HAVE ANY FANS HERE BUT HAPPY BIRTHDAY MATTHEW LEE ESPINOSA I LOVE YOU
~Hannah🎈