Christmas Pains

"You guys ready?" I ask.
"Yeah!" Eadlyn exclaims.
Ahren's still laying down. He just nods. I go over and pick him up, grabbing his blanket with him. He's wrapped up in it.
We go downstairs to the living area where our tree and gifts are set up. Maxon's sitting on the couch watching TV with some coffee. There's already a fire in the fire place and hot chocolate on the coffee table.
I sit Ahren on the same couch as Maxon while Eadlyn sits in her spot on the floor.
I organize the gifts, then Maxon has me sit in his spot while he gives them to the kids.
I smile and drink hot chocolate, only stopping when it was my turn to open a gift. I watch the excitement and happiness on my kids faces as they open their gifts.

Ahren fell asleep quickly once we were done. He's hugging his new panda stuffed animal and cuddled up in his blanket.
Eadlyn's on the floor playing with all of her new toys.
They both got lots of toys and fabrics. They're both also very happy. And that's all we want.
I help Maxon clean up the trash then we sit together on the couch.
I look at Ahren, feeling bad for him.
"He's alright my dear," Maxon assures.
"I know."
"Then don't look so worried."
"I can't help it."
"I get it."
He takes my hand and softly kisses each knuckle.
I smile and lean on him.
"I love you," I say.
"I love you too darling."

"Sit," Maxon instructs.
I sit on our bed and watch him.
"What's this about?"
"Your Christmas gift."
"Maxon. I already got a bunch of gifts."
"Well this one's your big gift so it's different."
"You spoil me way to much."
"You get everything you deserve my dear."
I shake my head. He pulls a small red velvet bag out of his desk drawer. He brings it over and hands it to me. I look at him.
"Go ahead."
I open the bag and pull out a small glossy heart. It's mostly white and plain all except for a bright pink oval shape in the center.
"It's beautiful Maxon. Thank you."
He smiles and sits next to me. I put it on my nightstand. When I turn around he kisses me. I kiss him back hard.
We sit there and enjoy each other's kisses.
I gasp and pull away, putting my hand on the side of my stomach where I feel a pinch.
"What's wrong?" Maxon asks panicked.
I don't say anything and just focus on a spot on the ground.
Why won't this dumb pain just go away?
He gets on the ground and kneels in front of me so I see his face.
"What happened America."
He said it more forcefully than a question.
"I think it's just a cramp."
"You think?"
"I just need to get some sleep."
"America."
"It's fine."
"You're pregnant. We need to be careful and watchful."
"This is the first time it's happened in awhile."
"It's happened before?"
"Maxon. I get lots of cramps when I'm pregnant. It's completely normal."
"I don't think that's normal."
"It is. I had them with the twins too."
He look at me like he doesn't believe me.
"Let's just get to sleep," I suggest.
He nods and goes to his side.
I lay down facing away from him so he can wrap his arms around me. He pulls the blankets up on me further and puts his hand on my stomach, tucking the other one under his pillow.
He kisses the back of my neck and I fall asleep with a happy smile on my face.