What's Broken

Three more days until Christmas. I get more and more excited as it draws closer. We're gonna have a Christmas Eve ball. My family will spend the night. It'll be great.
Maxon and I are in our room with Ahren. Eadlyn was still asleep so we left her in the nursery. I'm feeding him while Maxon works. We had dinner an hour ago.
"Could you go get Eadlyn?" I ask him.
"Have a guard get her," he replies, keeping his eyes on his paper work.
"No. You need to get her."
"I'm working."
"Our daughter is more important Maxon. You're a dad, act like it."
He looks at me hurt.
"You know I didn't mean it like that."
He gets up and walks out. I finish feeding Ahren and follow. He goes to the nursery, and I go in. He's looking at Eadlyn. I put Ahren into his crib.
"Let's talk," I say.
"Fine," he replies.
We go into the hallway.
"I'm sorry ok," I admit.
"Why would you say that to me? You know I love them and I'm scared to be like my dad."
"I know. I shouldn't have said it. But you were acting like work is so much more important than our daughter."
"I'm the king. I need to focus on work."
"I just need a little help with them sometimes. Someone needed to get her."
"I understand that America. Just say that. Because we're just gonna start arguing if we don't talk about how we feel and I hate arguing. I love you so much and I don't want to hurt you."
As he was talking I noticed someone walking quickly towards us that I didn't recognize. He has a blue handkerchief dangling from his pocket.
"Maxon."
"Yeah?"
I look at the man, he's only a few feet away now. Maxon turns. Someone grabs me from behind and stabs the guard that was outside of the nursery. I scream and try to wiggle out of his arms. He puts his hand over my mouth and I bite it. He lets go and I brace myself for whatever he tries. I hear a gun shot and whip around, fearing what I'll see. The guns on the floor and I see Maxon push the guy away. The guy kicks Maxon's knee inward, making him yell out and fall over.
A guard comes and shoots both of them.
Maxon's holding his leg, his face scrunched in pain. I run over to him.
The guard rushes over.
"Are you ok?" I ask.
He just nods. The guard helps him up.
"Grab your kids and get to the safe room," the guard instructs. I nod and do as he says. This safe room doesn't go anywhere but a room that doesn't attach anywhere else. I lay the kids on a pillow by the cot.
The guard slowly helps Maxon in. He's staying off of his left leg.
"Maxon..."
He lays him on the cot, putting a pillow under his left leg. I close the door then go over and hold Maxon's hand. He's wincing.
The guard grabs a medical kit and cuts Maxon's pants up to his thigh. His lower leg near his knee is swollen and bruised.
"It's definitely broken," the guard says.
Maxon tries to sit up to look but I hold him down.
"Don't look Maxon," I say.
"Is it bad?"
"No. It's alright."
"I'll try to place it. It's gonna hurt," the guard says.
Maxon grabs a towel off the rack and puts it in his mouth then nods, letting the guard place it.
I hold his hand and he bites on the towel while the guard places it and wraps it in medical tape.
"I'll get the doctor as soon as we get out," the guard says.
"Thank you," I reply.
I look at Maxon who's looking at me.
"How are you feeling?" I ask him.
"Alright. It doesnt hurt to bad now."
"That's good. You should try to sleep."
He nods.
"Lay with me?"
"Sure."
He scoots over and I grab the babies, laying next to him. The guard turns the light off and let's us sleep. Well, at least TRY to sleep. I hear Maxon's breath slow as he falls asleep. Meanwhile, I'm to worried to sleep.