24. We belong

Annabeth's POV

"Percy, did you know that it was actually painted before?"
He just shook his head for the millionth time today, grinning probably trying to hold a laugh he'd never stop if he tried.
"You knew I couldn't help myself, especially here- oh this architecture is beautiful!"
I laughed now, nerding out on ancient buildings, yes that was me.
"But I at least know that this one is your mother's, for kissing reference."
Yes, it is... I rolled my eyes at the mythical pun. That Seaweed brain... But after the blow he received yesterday I was surprised that he still remembered his own name.
This place was- marvelous.
"The dimensions of the base of the Parthenon are 69.5 meters by 30.9 meters and it wasn't actually a temple at all," I said. Percy was staring at the painted pictures of how Acropolis supposedly looked before.
"I wish that we could see it like it used to be before it got destroyed. You know, this is cool and all but it would be waaaay- cooler."
He gripped my hand, rightfully terrified. My vision went all Alice in Wonderland after eating too much of the growing mushroom and then I heard the voice. I guessed that Percy did too since he got this I'm gonna protect you no matter what face.
But it was my mother.
"I give you both the chance to see Greece in it's all glory but it will last only for 2 days. Think of the older times and you'll see all the way I did ages ago. Let it be my wedding gift to you, my daughter."
This was more of a blessing than I could ever ask for.
"Thank you Lady Athena."
It was Percy that shook the surprise first and the sound that my mother let out almost made me throw myself at him to shield his body with mine.
"You seem happy my daughter."
"I am." Was she approving of Percy and I or not? I could not tell... but then I got where she'd be going with that. "Seaweed brain don't-" Speak... He did-
"Is that the part when you tell me that you'll kill me if I ever hurt her?"
Was he trying to joke around my mother?
I shook my head. Too late... I sighed, remembering how he sent Medusa's head to the Olympians...
"No, my daughter could kill you in many different ways with various weapons, or without them. All by herself. I'd-"
"Mother..." People turned at my exasperated tone and I whispered the next time. "We've been through this." I said really nicely. "Thank you for the gift. It's an amazing one. I love this."
I understood why young marriage didn't seem all that appealing to my godly mother but there wasn't a reason to keep her fighting for something that wouldn't change all the time.
Things did take up speed after everything that happened. What Hera did, however my mother probably liked it, only made me feel stronger, made us go faster. Made us realize every day mattered, that there was never time to waste.
"Goodbye Annabeth." I'd be silly to expect an 'I love you, kid' or something parental. "Oh and that Sea scum wants to give you something too, expect him around."
"Be mindful, Perseus Jackson. Goodbye."
"At least she hasn't called you Sea scum this time?" I laughed.
"Baby steps. Maybe one day she'll even stop threatening me and get the fact that you will never get rid of me." Percy grinned like an idiot.
"I wouldn't count on that."
She'd probably come popping champagne the first time we had a big argument.
I pushed Percy towards the stairs "Lets see it inside and then we can go to Erechtheion. That one is actually dedicated to the both of our god parents."
He grabbed me around my waist.
"I love you-" I said quickly before his lips touched mine.
"Wow," Percy stopped as soon as I did that. "Even I don't think that it's smart to do that in your mother's temple."
I rolled my eyes. "Stop thinking about it all the time." I taunted him and ran up the stairs. Percy tried to grab my hand but I managed to slip away. Once his report said that even the tree nymphs were faster than Percy. And they even specified their tree form...

All I managed to do as soon as I entered was gasp and grab back to find Percy. At the place where I saw beautiful ruins just a second before I saw an amazing architectonic creation.
"Percy?"
"What the Hades?" He gasped and if I wouldn't have grabbed him he'd have fallen down the stairs. He tripped when he glanced the statue of my mother that was supposed to be on Camp Half Blood's Hill.
"Now that's cool."
Honestly I pittied the mortals, they would never see it like we did right then. Through my mother's eyes, everything shone so bright and elegant.

The sun was almost gone but we decided not to waste the rest of today if we'd have the gift for only a day and something by now so we walked to Erechtheion.
"I like this one better."
Percy raised his eyebrows at me, "Really?" he asked. I nodded.
"Why? because it's our parent's?"
"Don't know. It just feels like one more thing that's right. My mom and your dad could get together a little more because of us now and this belongs to them and-"
"We belong to each other." Percy finished the sentence and I snickered.
"And it will never change." I hugged him tight, thinking of Hera briefly. I'd never forgive her.
Percy sighed as if he had something on his mind and was afraid to say it.
"You're not regretting anything still?"
"What? You mean the marriage? Victoria? What?"
"All the sudden changes when you had it all planned out. When did you picture married? And with a kid...?"
"In a few years- but- I wouldn't change that. We always manage Percy. I'm more surprised Sally hasn't snapped yet."
"Mom doesn't mind." Percy said.
"She could... I don't know, she's a tough person."
We took a taxi to our apartment (Yes a demigod one. Please don't ask, I'm still sick from that Hermes's Journey driver's driving "skills").

I woke later in the night, too hot to sleep, thinking. My life went by plans and prophecies, at least until my Seaweed brain came in. He was the first person of mine that never left, never broke my heart, never demanded something I didn't want to deliver. The boy gently snoring next to me set ablaze the passion for life I so lacked- or didn't understand- before, stirring that fire with every moment he believed I could, every kiss we shared, every touch and whisper in the dark-
And it was scary. How could I let myself feel so much when all I wanted before was to build up walls and wires around my heart?
For the shortest period of time I considered getting up and walking it off, then Percy pulled me closer. That settled it. You didn't choose love, it chose you. You couldn't plan the time or convenience of it all. You couldn't plan squat when the heart and head mixed together for the matter.
'Love turns your whole world upside down.'
And it did.
I'd never understand those that didn't woke loving every new sunset, those that didn't stare at the night sky with wonder in theirs eyes. Life alone in the dark, uncaring of the beauty, I'd never understand...