Stargazing

I can't believe it's been a year now Percy

It's been one year since we escaped Tartarus.

-I know.

There were so many times I... I didn't think we were gonna make it out.

Especially not together.

But we did.

And it's all thanks to him, isn't it...

-It is. We owe him our lives.

We definitely owe him our lives.

Here. Do you wanna say it with me?

-Yes. For him.

Bob says hello.

(lines by @lyssa_wroni_ on TikTok)

***

Annabeth and Percy lay down on the deck, they gave everything to keep it together the whole day. They didn't push Nico into talking to them. They spoke nothing of Tartarus. They wouldn't mention it for quite some time. But the words... Damasen. Bob. Say hello to the sun and stars... Those words tortured Annabeth ever since that elevator door closed and Percy had been no better.
They lay almost motionless, shaky breaths echoing in their ears from the other, their hands holding so tight it hurt.
"Bob says hello. Bob- Bob says- He says hello. Percy I-"
"I know-"
"It's not fair. How do I hate myself for breathing right now- I, Percy I can't take this." Annabeth cried probably the last of tears she could make out. Her chest felt like bursting and her whole body shook with sadness and rage even as Percy anchored her to the reality. They were alive. Both of them were. They were looking up at the sky but Annabeth couldn't quite see anything anymore as the tears clouded her vision. She glanced at Percy, tears were rolling down his cheek too.

"Annabeth, we said it a few moments ago. We have to survive. And we have to be strong for each other because I am not loosing one more person to this war and you above all are my lifeline. I love you- Please, we're together- Just don't let go." His hands were shaking so bad. She knew coming from this would take longer than anything else, if it ever really ended. If they had one day without feeling this, she'd call it a miracle. He didn't say they were okay. But they were together indeed, that was certain at least. Annabeth knew it inside, he couldn't hate her, but hearing him say it again forced a pained smile on her lips. She had forced him to retaliate with her, she forced them both to escape and live. Annabeth remembered very well the words she told Bob, knowing they were good enough but hoping not the last he had ever heard. 

"I won't let you go." She sniffed. They heard footsteps and the small figures of Hazel and Leo appeared in their vision.
"Uhm-" Leo looked away as they sat up, wiping those wretched tears away to no point.
"Sorry, do you need anything guys?" Annabeth asked, sliding her left hand under her thigh to not show any more lack of stability.
"No. No, we just... We heard you here and figured we'd bring those." Hazel was a precious being, bringing a couple blankets as it seemed.
"And here's some chocolate for you guys. Once you feel like eating at all." Leo outreached his hand too. "It's not much but-"
"Thank you- So much." Annabeth and Percy whispered, accepting the unexpected care. Hazel had been through a lot, Leo hadn't had it any easier in life. The kids knew they couldn't help Percy and Annabeth yet but they could let them know, stating clearly, our traumas were different, but we understood.
They left then, as silently as they came, and the two mustered up enough strength to get up and spread the blanket like once back in the stables, using one to cover themselves and the rest as a makeshift pillow.
They cuddled closer, not sure what powers kept them from going mad right on spot. They stayed in a tight embrace, hearing the mechanical whirring of Argo and making unspoken promises to each other.
"I love you, Percy. I love you." That was all Annabeth could say for herself without tripping back.
Percy responded by pressing his lips to Annabeth's, thinking, if their relationship survived this, if they survived Gaia's madness, he'd cherish every second he got and hope to live at least 70 more terribly boring years with her by his side. He hoped never to sleep alone, never to wake without her by his side. Percy remembered his mother, not even knowing if he was still alive, yet unable to get in touch with her when his birthday wasn't even a sure event.
No. They would live. Never apart again, they promised. But he did wonder how the other side felt. No peace now, maybe if he... Closing their eyes voluntarily was suicide. It invited horrors worse than any other nightmare they had.
But they had each other. Broken but together. Drained of emotions yet in love.

Part 2 will be up next.