Chapter 2

Well, today is Wednesday. The day I tutor my mystery peer. I woke up only seconds before my alarm went off. I threw on my What Makes You Beautiful lyric racerback tanktop and some dark denim cutoffs. I put on some foundation and contoured. I did a natural smokey eye and wiped on some mascara. I took my hair out of my bun and brushed it out in to loose beachy waves. I threw on my converse and hopped downstairs. I ate some waffles and drank some orange juice and I was off.

~skip school~

As I walked to the bike rack I got more curious as to who I'd be tutoring. After I had unlocked it, I hopped on my bike and rode to the address I'd been given. As I approached the house I realized it was only two blocks away from my own home. I got off my bike and walked it up to the door. I leaned it up against the side of the house and rang the doorbell. Lo and behold Sam Pottorff answered the door.

"You must be my tutor," Sam said as he gestured for me to enter. "Didn't I run into you in the halls yesterday, like literally?" he laughed. "That would be a yes, and yes," I answered. "Well just follow me upstairs and we'll get started. I have my book and homework up there," he said as he led me to the stairs. "So what would your name be?" Sam inquired. "Melanie, but you can call me Melly or Mel." I smiled. "Well I'm Sam-" "I know- I mean- I've seen your YouTube videos." I added awkwardly. "Well this is my room. Make yourself at home," he said with a wink. I laughed. He was such a flirt. I knew he was just kidding though. He wasn't interested in my type. He went for the populars and I knew that.

"Well, what do you want to start with?" I asked as I pulled up an extra chair to his desk. "Well, chapter five has me stumped..." "I can help with that," I assured him. We began working out math problems slowly becoming more comfortable with each other. After just about an hour had passed, there was a knock at the door. "Wait here," Sam instructed. I did as I was told and Sam left the room. I looked around Sam's room as I listened to the two muffled male voices that had drifted up the stairs. Moments later Sam emerged. "Sorry, that was Kian. He wanted to know if I could work on our next video right now. I told him I was busy though," Sam explained. "Oh, that's fine," I smiled. We studied for another hour before I had to go. I was having dinner with my mom and her new boyfriend and his son.

"Well, I'll see you next Wednesday?" Sam asked. "Sounds good to me," I grinned. As I began to leave Sam stopped me. As I turned around he hugged me. "Thanks," he said, "for all the help." "I'm glad to help anytime," I replied as I made my way to my bike.

Once I got home I ran up to my room and threw on a cute, pink skirt that fell to mid-thigh. I put on my black tank top and a sparkly cardigan. I touched up my makeup and curled my hair. As I stole a quick glance in the mirror, I grabbed me phone and threw on my nude stilettos. I walked downstairs and looked at my mom. She was stunning in her little black dress.

We hopped in the car and drove to some restaurant I'd never heard of. Let me tell you, it was fancy. When we walked inside we were lead to a table with Mr. Lawley, Kian, and Sam. "Long time no see," I greeted Sam. I went over and shook all three of their hands. "You look stunning," Sam replied with a smile. "Thanks," I blushed, "You look pretty sharp yourself." "Don't tell me I'm gonna be fifth wheeling it!" Kian cried out in humorous despair. I laughed as my mom and I took our seats.

Dinner was full of jokes and laughter. As we walked out to our cars Sam pulled me aside. "Would you like to go out for some ice cream? I drove here in my car. We won't be keeping them," Sam asked. "I'd love to," I agreed. I sent my mom a text and she was fine with it. We drove to Doc Burnstein's and ordered our ice cream. I got the sea salt caramel and he got motor oil (super chocolaty with caramel and stuff). We grabbed a booth and made small talk. "So, how long has your mom been dating Kian's dad?" Sam questioned. "For 6 months now I think," I replied as I ate another spoonful of my ice cream, "I think sea salt caramel is the best ice cream I've ever had." "Then you've clearly never had motor oil!" Sam countered as he took a spoonful of his ice cream and tried to get me to eat it. "It looks too chocolaty," I said as I dodge the spoon. "Come on," Sam pleaded giving me the puppy dog face. I closed my eyes and shook my head. I felt something cold on my nose. I opened my eyes to see that he had put some of his ice cream on my nose. He laughed as I wiped it off onto my napkin. His laugh was so adorable. After we finished our ice cream he drove me home.

"Well, I'll see you around. Hopefully before Wednesday," Sam smiled as he walked me to the door. "Hopefully," I agreed. "Until then," he said as he hugged me. I stepped into my house and went upstairs. Mom had already turned in for the night. I flopped on my bed when I entered my room. Sam was one interesting guy. He was sweet, and very gentlemanly, and a crack up! Too bad I wasn't his type. I looked in the mirror suddenly feeling self-concious. I wish I was one of the skinny popular girls.... I washed my face and changed into pajamas. I hopped into bed and closed my eyes letting my mind wander off to dream.