SOF: Chapter 44

A Birthday Present

I told Patricia to fly to Paris with Samuel anyway. After a week of comforting me, she finally agreed. But only if I called her everyday, which I of course would never do.

While Patricia was all for talking about it-which I couldn't really do, since don't want her to know what Richard is really like- I am all for taking comfort in work.

A week later, Patricia's still in Paris. With every day passing, I feel my heart somehow getting better.

I miss him. Badly. I miss his voice. I miss his arms around me. I miss his smile. His eyes. the way he walks. The way he talks to me. These feelings he gives me. The effect he has on me. But I can't be with him. I can't be with someone who will never love me back.

I feel like a junkie who's on detox. With every day it gets better, but my thoughts will always be on my favorite drug - Richard Faulkerson.

I unlock the front door of the apartment and switch on the lights. As I put the keys into a bowl, I hear fast steps getting louder, walking into my directions.

"Maine!" I hear Patricia's voice calling my name. She's already back?

I turn around and see her grinning as she runs over to me. "Guess what?"

"What?" I ask her.

"I'm engaged!" she says to me showing off her ring into my face. A beautiful diamond engagement ring. No, a very big diamond ring.

"Oh my God!" I say as soon as i have my thoughts collected. Then I hug her. "I'm so happy for you!"

"Can you believe it? I'm fucking engaged! Getting married, I mean married! How insane is that, huh?!" she asks me as we get seated on the couch.

"Tell me everything. How he did it and-"

"We had like the most amazing hotel room in whole Paris! we had the perfect view of the Eiffel Tower and the day before we wanted to fly back he popped the question. There were roses and candles and everything. It was so romantic!"

"I can imagine." I say smiling at her. "Gosh, engaged. Future Mrs. Grey!"

"I know, right?!" she says grinning at me. "Fucking amazing, huh?"

"You got it." I say smiling before I hug her again.

"You're going to be maid of honor. I won't accept a no as an answer."

"You didn't even ask me."

"Like you would say no."

"Of course I want to be your maid of honor, Patty."

"Great! We're going to go wedding dress shopping pretty soon!"

"Do you guys already have a guest list? Or a date?"

"We just got engaged two days ago."

"I know, that's why I'm asking. Because I know you, you already have everything planned out."

She smiles at me, "Okay, so I want it to be in the winter, this year. we don't have a date yet, but I've already made a guest list from my side."

"And where?"

"I thought maybe the Plaza?"

"Oh good luck getting a date." It's impossible to have a wedding there on such short notice.