Chapter 68

Harper's POV

I looked at my Chloe-Mom. She was on the couch and she was sleeping. Daddy had dropped me off not to long ago and I was sleeping over again tonight. She'd worked today so I knew she was tired, but I also knew she was tired because of Matt.

Just thinking about him made me sad. It had been four days since Thanksgiving and he still hadn't come over for dinner and I knew that was another reason my Chloe-Mom was tired, she was sad.

I loved Matt, a lot, I kind of loved Matt even more than my Daddy. My Daddy could be mean a lot but Matt never was, he was always fun to be around and not seeing him made me sad as well.

"Mom." I whispered, shaking her and smiling as her eye's fluttered opened. "I'm hungry."

"Oh god." She groaned, sitting up. "I guess I fell asleep huh?" And I nodded. "Well why don't I make us some dinner."

"Good." I said getting up and following her into the kitchen. "Is Matt coming for dinner tonight?" I asked her hopefully.

She was looking in the fridge and I saw her shoulder's sag, listening to her sigh. "Not tonight Harper."

"Gee." I muttered. "He must be having fun with his family."

Four day's worth of fun. I was a little cranky at Matt. I thought he loved us, Chloe-Mom and I, but I guessed he didn't. He went to lunch on Thanksgiving and we hadn't seen him since.

I sighed. I thought we were part of his family too, but I guessed we weren't.

"Did you call him?" I asked her as she started making a salad.

She shook her head. "I messaged him, but he never replied."

"He must be busy." I mumbled.

"Very." Mom mumbled back.

I looked at her and I felt bad. I probably shouldn't have said anything to her. I didn't want to make her cry again. I'd heard her crying in the bathroom and she'd had a bad nightmare the other night and that had made her cry as well. Gosh I was just angry at Matt for making my Mom cry. She said it wasn't because of him, but I knew it was. 

I liked staying here with my real Mommy, it was better than Daddy's house. Jasmine-Mom always came over and they argued a lot. They'd always argued and it was always over the same thing, Chloe. That was how I found out she was my real Mommy, by listening to them argue. At first it didn't make sense to me, but then, at my birthday party, when I looked at her, I knew it was the truth. I could tell by the way she looked at me, it was like she was frightened of me, plus she looked exactly like me.

"Here you go." Mom said, placing a plate of salad and chicken in front of me, then sitting down to her own plate.

I loved her very much. She looked after me and she always made sure I ate properly, except when Matt came over, he always brought junk food and I loved him for that.

"What are you smiling at?" Mommy asked, pushing her dinner around on her plate and smiling at me.

"Nothing." I told her. "Can I sleep in your bed tonight?"

"I guess so." She told me smiling, but it was a sad smile.

We finished eating, well I finished, Mommy didn't really eat much, the we cleaned up, laying on the couch and putting on a movie.

"I'm tired." Mommy murmured to me as she laid there, while I stroked her hair.

She had such pretty hair and I was glad I had her hair, it was just like hers.

"Go to sleep Mommy." I whispered, kissing her forehead.

"I like when you call me Mommy." She whispered and I smiled, watching her fall asleep.

Once she was asleep I got up and snuck into her bedroom, grabbing her phone and sitting on the bed.

I turned it on and looked at it. I wasn't really sure how to use it, but I sat there and worked it out.

I found what I wanted, then held the phone to my ear.

Hi, This is Matt, leave your name and number and I'll get back to you

"Matt." I said frowning. "Hello, it's me Harper, are you there?" But the phone just made a funny beep.

I hung up and sat there, looking at it. I really wanted to talk him, to ask him why he didn't love us anymore, so I pressed the button and called him again.

"Harper." He answered straight away. "Is everything okay?"

"I guess." I told him shrugging.

"Oh okay." He murmured. "How are you anyway?"

"Okay." I told him softly. "Have you finished your lunch yet?" I asked him.

"What?"

"Your Thanksgiving lunch." I reminded him. "You were going to come over after so I was wondering when it would be finished."

"Oh I see." He mumbled.

"Matt." I started, but I stopped, feeling sad.

"Yes Harper." He said.

"Matt, don't you love us anymore?" I whispered, feeling a tear run down my cheek. "Did I do something to make you hate my Mommy."

"Harper." He said softly. "Of course I love you and no baby girl, you didn't do anything wrong."

"Well why haven't you come over." I whispered, wiping my cheek. "We've been waiting and waiting and Mommy's sad all the time."

"Well I've been busy." He mumbled. "And your Mommy is sad?"

"Busy doing what?" I demanded. What was more important than my Mommy? "Yes, she's very sad."

"I see." He murmured. "And I've been looking at houses to buy."

I frowned. "Houses?" I snapped. "You made my Mommy cry because of houses."

"What, no." He mumbled. "It's a long story Harper."

It would want to be a long story. "So come over and explain it." I told him.

"Harper."

"No." I snapped. "You come over right now and see me and my Mommy. Do you understand?"

"Right now?" He asked me.

"Yes right now." I snapped. "Don't you want to see us?"

"God Harper, more than anything. Okay." He said and I think he was smiling. "I'll come over right now."

"Good." I said and hung up.

I put the phone down and walked back out into the living room. Mommy was still asleep and I decided not to wake her. I was sure the doorbell would wake her when it rang.

I hoped she liked my surprise. I hoped she was happy to see Matt.

Not too long later the doorbell rang and Mommy sat up, looking confused.

"Who could that be?" She mumbled, getting up and walking to the door.

I got up and followed, watching her open the door, smiling when I saw Matt standing there, clutching a pizza box.

"I brought pizza." He mumbled.

"How nice." Mommy snapped. "You're only four days late."

I put my hand over my mouth and pulled a face at Matt. Mommy was angry and it was kind of funny.