Chapter 16

Matt's POV

I couldn't sleep, no matter how hard I tried. I'd go to bed exhausted, completely exhausted and I'd fall asleep straight away, into a sound sleep, but two or three hours later I'd be wide awake, just laying there. I knew it was because my body was trying to adjust to not having alcohol, but fuck, I was sick of it and in those early hours of the morning, when I was wide awake, sweating and shaking I thought about what I'd been doing to my body. It wasn't good and honestly I probably would be dead in a few years. Not now, now I was clean and I was planning on staying this way, I wasn't going back. The world seemed a little brighter when I was sober and I liked it, a lot.

I got out of bed and pulled on my gym clothes. It was pretty early but I'd decided that I might as well go work out rather than lay in bed contemplating my life. I'd get there, I'd fix my life, one piece at a time, but right now was for me, once I'd fixed me, I'd fix everything else.

I walked out of my room quietly and walked to Chloe's door, wincing before I'd even said anything. She really wasn't a morning person and I already knew she wasn't going to be impressed with me wanting to go to the gym this early.

"Whattttt." She groaned as predicted, clearly unimpressed with my early morning wake up call.

I knew she wouldn't be happy, but I was glad she agreed to come.

Over the past few weeks we'd been given a few privileges and one of them was the fact that now we could go and do things unaccompanied, like go to the gym, go eat or whatever, see my problem with that was I didn't want to do stuff myself, I wanted company, I liked talking and it kept my mind occupied. Honestly, I just really enjoyed Chloe's company.

She agreed to come with me, as long as she could get coffee, so I left her to get changed and headed down to the gym myself.

I walked down the stairs, as usual the place was deserted and all I could hear were my own footsteps.

"Morning." Jerry suddenly said, stepping out from the dining room and smiling at me.

I stopped and looked at him. There was just something about him I didn't like and I clenched my fist by my side. "Morning."

"Where are you off too at this time of day pretty boy?" He asked, still grinning.

I really wanted to punch that smile off of his face but I didn't, I just clenched my fist a little harder. "To the gym."

He nodded. "Of course." He said. "Where's Chloe the doll?"

I frowned, shaking my head and heading to the gym. "Sleeping." I muttered.

He said something else but I ignored him, heading to the gym. I hated the guy, I really did, and the way he said Chloes name, I just wanted to punch the fuck out of him. It wasn't my anger rearing it's ugly head again either, even if I was drunk I'd still want to punch him. The guy was an ass.

I wandered into the gym and turned on the lights, heading for the treadmill. I'd warm up on it first, then do some weights.

I climbed on and did my usual, started slow then gradually sped up to a run. It was when I'd made it to my run I'd noticed that Chloe still hadn't arrived. Knowing her she'd probably gone back to sleep.

I turned off the treadmill, coming to a stop. Too bad if she was asleep, I was going to wake her, I needed her chatting to distract me and I kind of liked listening to her grumble about everything first thing in the morning.

I left the gym, but I left the lights on, once I got Chloe we'd be back anyway.

I walked down the corridor and I heard voices coming from the dining room. Holy crap, someone else was actually awake and I walked in to see who it was.

"What the fuck are you doing?" I yelled.

The scene that greeted me was disturbing. Jerry was standing over Chloe, he had her around her waist and he was hissing something at her. Chloe look terrified and for that I wanted to smash his face in.

I obviously startled Jerry and he made some lame excuse about how he was talking to Chloe. I knew he wasn't and his smart mouth pushed me to the edge, I reached out, grabbing his collar and telling him I would kill him if I ever saw him near Chloe again and I meant it, I meant every word I said.

I watched as he slinked out of the room. God, there was just something about him that made me uncomfortable and I knew I wasn't the only one who felt it.

"Are you okay?" I asked turning back to Chloe.

She looked at me with wide eye's, shaking. "No."

"Come on." I said softly, putting my arm around her shoulder. "Let's get a coffee and go back to the room."

She just nodded, still with that wide eyed look on her face and I led her over, grabbing us both a coffee.

"God." She finally muttered as we headed back up the stairs, but that was it, that was all she said until we reached the room.

"Okay, sit down and drink your coffee." I instructed her, leading her to the couch.

I watched as she took a mouthful, visibly relaxing.

"He's such a creep." She snapped at me.

I nodded. "Yeah he is and what he was doing to you was inappropriate."

"You think?" She snapped, glaring at me. "God, he touched me."

"He what?" I snapped. "Where did he touch you?"

"Ew my waist." And I breathed a sigh of relief, I thought she meant he'd touched her, well somewhere private.

"He shouldn't have fucking touched you at all." I snapped. "You should report him."

"I can't do that." She said looking at me. "He'd get kicked out."

"So?" I muttered, watching her, she really didn't look good.

"So, come one Matt, everyone deserves a chance." She said softly. "And if he got kicked out, what would happen to him?"

Was she fucking serious? "Are you fucking serious?"

"Look, forget it happened." She said, avoiding my eye's. "I already have."

"Chloe." I started but she put her hand up.

"I mean it Matt, no more, please." She murmured.

I sighed and nodded. Fine I wouldn't mention it again, but I sure as fuck was not letting Chloe go anywhere by herself again. Jerry couldn't be trusted and I wouldn't put it past him to try something gain.

"Just know I'm here." I said quietly to her, leaning back on the couch.

Chloe could deny it all she wanted but what had happened with Jerry bothered her, I could see it on her face, it scared her, a lot.

Jerry had better steer clear of me because I meant it, if I saw him near Chloe again I would kill him.