Chapter 35

Chloe's POV

I couldn't believe it, a bottle of Jack Daniels and in that moment, it was exactly what I felt like doing. I wanted to open that bottle and take a long hard drink, but I didn't, instead I sat down at the table and started crying.

I was crying for everything, my shitty little life, the fact that my sister stole my husband, the fact that she slept with him for nearly a year before I found out, the fact that my family hid it from me. I cried over the fact that I really had no one and it was their fault, if you couldn't trust your own family who could you trust?

And I cried because of stupid Lucy. Lucy the woman, not the dog. She was so fucking perfect, showing up at my house to gloat about her perfect life, how her life was working out, about the only thing I did like about her was the fact that she brought me the Jack and I wanted to drink it, all of it, while toasting those two fuckwits and their perfect life.

I wanted to call Clay but I couldn't, he was back in rehab and out of touch. The other person I wanted to call, well the first person I wanted to call was Matt, but I couldn't call him either, he was the reason I was feeling like this, let down and alone all over again.

Instead of drinking that Jack Daniels, I laid my head on my arm's and had a good fucking cry. I'd be okay, I'd learnt my lesson. I let someone in and this is what happens, again, it sure as shit wouldn't happen a third time. Well, until he called and just the sound of his voice made me cry more.

Now here he was, at my place, asking me what was wrong. What could I say? You, everything.

I didn't tell him, I just cried and cried, I needed a good cry, years of being a tough cookie had caught up with me and once the tears had started they wouldn't stop.

Matt being Matt held me while I cried, he kept asking what was wrong, but I couldn't tell him, so eventually he led me to the living room where I curled up on his lap and continued my crying marathon.

I liked it, being this close to him. It felt nice, it felt good and I closed my eye's, letting him hold me. Today I could cry, tomorrow I would start fresh, getting back to how I was, alone and happy.

I must have fallen asleep because the next thing I knew I was on my bed and Matt was next to me in the dark, still whispering, still holding me.

It made it so much worse, him being here, him holding me. Now I was realising what I would be missing, what I wanted and it was true, I think I wanted him but he was married with a family and I couldn't have him.

I really wanted to ask him to leave but I didn't, I eventually fell back asleep and I didn't wake up until the sun was up and Lucy was sitting at the side of the bed, giving me a look. A 'why is he sleeping in my spot' look.

I patted her head then looked at Matt. He was still sleeping and I'd let him sleep for now, once he was awake I'd tell him how it was, how he needed to go home to his family. He didn't really need me anyway, he was strong and he was doing just fine.

I got up quietly and went into the kitchen, making coffee and letting Lucy outside for the toilet. I sat down, I already felt better, stronger and I knew what I needed to do.

I sat there and was onto my second cup before Matt finally made an appearance.

"You're up before me for once." He said smiling and walking into the kitchen.

I shrugged at him. I wasn't being friendly, I didn't want him to get the wrong idea.

Lucy, the traitor, greeted him like a long lost friend and after he made a coffee and sat down at the table she laid her head in his lap, demanding to be petted. He obliged.

"So Chloe." Matt said, taking a drink of coffee while still petting Lucy. "What happened last night?"

I looked at him, right at him. "It doesn't matter." I told him flatly.

"Well yeah it does." He murmured. "It does matter."

"Fine." I snapped, slamming my mug onto the table. "My mother called."

"Oh." He mumbled.

"So do you care to explain why the fuck you went to my Mother's house?" I demanded, feeling angry all over again. "It's none of your fucking business, you need to stay out of my business."

"Chloe." He snapped back. "I know nothing about you, you tell me nothing, absolutely nothing, how the fuck was I supposed to know what had really happened?"

I shook my head. "You're missing the point." I snapped. "What happened was none of your business."

"Fine." He muttered. "I get it."

"Good." I said, standing up. "Now it's time for you to go home."

"What?" He muttered looking at me. "You're kicking me out?"

"Well I mean I appreciate what you did." I told him. "Coming over last night, I needed someone and thank you for that."

He shrugged. "Well yeah." He mumbled. "You did."

"Any way." I went on, ignoring him. "It's time for you to go home, go back to your family, Matt your life is good, things are working out for you."

"Say's who?" He asked, standing up and frowning.

"Matt, your family is moving back in with you." I said taking a deep breath, ignoring the feeling in my chest. "So go home, concentrate on them."

"Chloe."

"No, juts go" I snapped. "I'm fine, I am fine now, I'll be fine later, I'm a loner Matt, I don't like people and I don't let them into my life, I like being alone."

"I see." He muttered, putting his cup down. "Well I guess I'll go then."

I nodded. "Good idea." And it was, it was a fucking fabulous idea, he needed to leave and he needed to leave now. "I'm glad everything worked out for you Matt." I added softly. "I really am."

"Yeah right." He snarled, turning and walking out.

I sat down as I heard the front door slam. I wouldn't do it, I wouldn't cry.

But it was too late, I already was.