Chapter 33

Chloe's POV

"I'm home." I called out as I unlocked and opened the front door.

I smiled as I heard a thump come from further in my house and the little pitter patter of dog's feet come down the hall.

"Did you miss me." I cried to Lucy, holding my arm's out.

She ran to me, smothering my face in kisses and I hugged her tightly. I'd had a shitty day at work, so busy and my knee was still bothering me. I just wanted to curl up on the couch and hug her today, that's all I wanted.

"Toilet?" I asked her, leading her out into the backyard.

I knew she'd spent they day laying on my bed, I didn't mind, I was just a little jealous.

"You finish up." I told her. "I'm going to shower."

She looked at me, and I swore she smiled. She understood me, my dog understood English, I didn't have a doubt.

I left her out there and went inside, groaning as my phone started ringing. It was probably Matt, again. We had been spending a lot of time together, almost everyday, but this last week I'd put a stop to it. I was becoming so used to having him around, I liked having him around and I didn't like the way he made me feel sometimes, that fluttery feeling I got. I'd been there, I'd done that and I got burnt, badly. Matt was married and he needed to concentrate on his family, not spend time with an ex alcoholic.

I ignored the phone, getting in the shower, washing my hair and by the time I climbed back out Lucy was laying on my bed smiling at me.

I got changed then sat next to her, rubbing my knee for bit. It was just so sore and I would kill Carmen if I ever laid eye's on her again.

"Come on fatty." I said to Lucy and she followed me out to the kitchen, where I fed her and made myself a coffee before heading back into the living room and laying on the couch.

I had been laying there for about twenty minutes, not doing anything really when my phone started ringing again.

I knew it was Matt and he was being persistent, so I decided just to answer it. Maybe if I told him I was busy he'd leave me alone.

"Hello." I said gruffly, holding the pone to my ear.

"Chloe honey." My mother said. "Is that you?"

I immediately felt sick, just hearing her voice. "What do you want?"

"Chloe, please." She said softly. "I just wanted to see how you are."

I rolled my eye's. Why was my well being such a concern to her when she never gave a fuck before. "Just dandy." I muttered.

"Chloe, are you telling people we disowned you?" She suddenly asked. "That it's our fault?"

I groaned, wishing she would leave me alone, that's all I wanted, was for my so called family to forget I existed. "Yes why?" I snapped. "Is that a problem?"

"Oh Chloe." My Mother cried. "Please honey, please talk to me."

"Look." I snapped. "I have nothing to say to you, absolutely nothing."

"Chloe please." She said softly.

I closed my eye's, pinching the bridge of my nose. "Please stop calling me."

"Your boyfriend came by a few weeks ago." She said softly. "He seemed really nice."

My boyfriend? What the fuck was she talking about? "Whatever." I snapped.

"Yes Matt." She went on. "He met us all, well except your father."

"Oh is that right." I snapped, mad at her for having the hide to call me, mad at Matt for going to my fucking parents house. "Well I'm surprised you didn't have him over for dinner, get him all primed up so your filthy slut of a daughter could fuck him too."

"Chloe." She started but I hung up, I was done with her and I'd told her that so many times.

She expected me to forgive her, forgive the fact that she knew my sister was sleeping with my husband but she hid it from me, they all hid it. I'm sorry that was unforgiveable, I would never forgive them, ever.

"Fuck." I snapped at Lucy, pissed that my night was ruined.

Now I was all agitated, angry and I had nowhere to focus my anger, so I was feeling a little a lost. I stood up, not sure what to do with myself when the doorbell rang, distracting me.

I hoped it was Matt, I really did. I was going to tear him a new asshole then I was going to fuck him off out of my life permanently. This was exactly the reason I stayed away from people. They only fucked you over in the end.

"What?" I snapped, swinging the door open and stopping.

"Oh hi Chloe." Lucy said smiling widely. "I hope you don't mind me dropping over?"

"How the hell did you know where I lived?" I asked, forgoing the hello's.

"Matt." She said smiling.

Of course fucking Matt, it seemed he liked going around, purposely fucking up my peaceful quiet life.

"Of course he did." I muttered, wishing he was in front of me so I could slap him.

"Anyway." She said, her smile so sickening. "I wanted to drop this by." She said holding up and gift bag. "It's just a little thank you, for all you've done."

"Oh." I muttered, not sure what else to say. A gift, what a joke.

"Yes." She said continuing to smile that fake smile. "I'm moving back in on the weekend, Matt and I are okay now and I know you had a lot to do with it."

I just nodded. Of course they were okay. "I'm glad." I mumbled.

"Anyway, take this." She said shoving the gift bag at me. "And thank you, so much."

I stood there, with the dumb gift bag, watching her perfect self walk down my path and get in her car.

I was glad for Matt, glad that he'd sorted his life out. This was what he wanted, his family back and this was the fucking reason I wanted nothing to do with him, because right now I wanted to cry and that made me angry, angry with myself for letting him into my life.

I walked into the kitchen, putting the dumb fucking gift on the kitchen table. A gift, what did I need a fucking gift for? And fuck him, fuck him to hell.

"Asshole." I screamed, closing my eye's and taking a deep breath.

No, I wasn't doing this, I wasn't doing this to myself again, he wasn't worth it, nobody was worth this.

I looked at the stupid gift and reached in, pulling it out of the bag.

I stood there, looking at it.

"Oh this is fucking perfect." I groaned, sitting down. "This is exactly what I needed."

I sat there, and I looked at my gift.

I'd never needed anything so badly in my life as I needed this right now.

My gift was a bottle of Jack Daniel's.

I could already taste it.