Chapter 34

Matt's POV

I frowned, hanging up the phone. I was a little pissed, I'd been calling Chloe for a few days and she wasn't answering. I'd left messages but she hadn't called me back. I knew she was back at work, but still, I thought she might return my calls.

I wasn't sure what to do with myself. I was so used to hanging around Chloe that without her, I wasn't sure what to do. Maybe I could go to a meeting by myself? That idea seemed dumb, it wouldn't be the same without Chloe, there'd be no laughter and there'd be no nice dinner afterwards.

Who the hell was I kidding. I just liked spending time with Chloe. I loved her conversation and I loved her company.

I sat down, fuck, what was I going to do? I know I was being a little selfish, but I felt a little pissed that Chloe had a life, I mean of course she had a life and it was dumb of me to think she wouldn't.

"Hello, Matt." Lucy called, letting herself in.

I groaned. I really wasn't in the mood to deal with her today.

"Oh there you are." She smiled, walking into the kitchen where I was sitting. "What are you doing?"

I shrugged. "Not much." Because Chloe won't answer my fucking calls, but I didn't add that.

"Oh okay." She smiled and that smile, god it was so fake.

"Yeah I might go to a meeting." I muttered, hoping she'd get the hint and leave me alone. "Where are the boy's?"

"At Mom's." She told me. "I had a few errands to run, so I left them there."

My children spent more time with her parents than they did with me and I hated her for that, I really did.

I didn't reply, I just nodded.

"Yes." She went on. "I dropped by and saw Chloe."

"What?" I snapped. What the fuck was she doing at Chloe's?

"Yes, I dropped by to thank her." She said putting her hand on my shoulder. "Well because I've decided to move back in on Saturday."

'I'm sorry?" I asked, looking at her. Did she say move back in?

"Yes." She said leaning down and kissing the top of my head. "I want to move back in, get us back on track. I'm proud of everything you've done Matt and I'm ready to forgive you."

"Chloe was at home?" I asked her wondering why she wasn't answering me if she was at home.

Lucy frowned at me. "Yes she was at home."

I picked up my phone, ignoring Lucy, kind of wishing she would fuck off. I didn't really think I wanted her to move back in. My boy's yes, Lucy no. I think we'd grown apart. It was nice of her to ask me if I wanted her to move back in, but I wasn't surprised, she was extremely selfish.

"Who are you calling Matthew?" She snapped, glaring at me.

"Chloe." I muttered, glaring right back at her.

"Well she's busy Matt." She snapped and I looked at her. How the fuck would she know if Chloe was busy?

I ignored her and called anyway. I knew she was home and if she didn't answer this time I was driving over there anyway.

I waited, listening to it ring on her end, when suddenly she answered. Well she didn't really answer, she more grunted, snuffled or something.

"Chloe." I murmured, aware of Lucy trying to listen in. "Why haven't you been answering my calls?"

"Matt." She said and it was barely a whisper.

I frowned. She didn't sound right. She sounded like she was crying. "Chloe are you okay?" I asked softly, worried.

"No." She sobbed and I stood up.

"Okay." I said softly, turning away from Lucy. "I'll be over soon okay." And even as I was saying it I was grabbing my key's. "I won't be long okay?"

"Okay." She whispered and I took a deep breath, her voice, the sound of it, of her hurting made my chest hurt.

"Where do you think you're going?" Lucy snapped, following me.

"Chloe's." I told her, not even glancing her way.

She snorted. "Fine, I'll see you on Saturday."

I ignored her, I didn't have time for this now, time for her, time for her idea of moving back in.

"Whatever." I called back, walking out the door and down to my car.

I got in, she could lock up after herself, I wasn't sticking around and I started the car, driving straight to Chloe's.

The traffic was bad, but it didn't take me too long and I jumped out of my car, trying not to run to the front door.

I knocked and waited, nothing. She didn't answer. I didn't knock again, instead I went around to the back yard and as soon as I opened the gate Lucy greeted me, Lucy the dog that is, the Lucy I actually liked, wagging her tail.

"Where is she?" I asked her, patting her head and she understood, she turned and ran straight to the back door.

I looked and the sight that greeted me, well, it hurt. It hurt to see Chloe in the state she was in, it hurt a lot.

She was at the kitchen, her head down on her arm's and she was sobbing, a bottle of Jack Daniel's sitting in front of her.

"Oh Chloe." I said softly, going to her. "What are you doing?"

She didn't answer me, she just kept on crying, so I did the only thing I could, I grabbed the bottle, cracking the lid and walking to the sink. I stood there, taking a deep breath and I poured it down the sink.

I didn't know why the hell she had a bottle of Jack but I knew with it around, and both of us, it probably wouldn't end well.

I rinsed the bottle, trying not breath in the smell and I threw it in the rubbish, turning my attention back to Chloe.

"What happened?" I asked her softly, kneeling next to her.

She didn't answer me again and I put my arm up, rubbing her back gently.

I sat there for a few minutes, just doing that, just letting her know I was there until finally she lifted her head, looking at me.

"Chloe." I murmured. "Tell me." I just wanted her to tell me what was wrong so I could fix it, fix her.

She just looked at me, crying, and shook her head.

I hated this, hated seeing her like this and I reached out, pulling her into my arm's, holding her tightly as she continued to sob.

I got up, helping her to her feet, then I led her into the living room, getting comfortable on the couch with Chloe in my arm's.

She didn't talk, she just cried and cried until finally she fell silent. I looked down at her and she was sleeping, she'd cried herself to sleep, her body still hitching occasionally.

I just sat there, with Chloe in my arm's. I wasn't going anywhere. I didn't want to go anywhere. It was my turn, my turn to be there for her and I wanted to be there, I wanted her to know I was here for her.

I sat there and I sat there until finally I got up, carrying Chloe to her bedroom. I laid her on her bed and she stirred, looking at me.

"Shh." I murmured, climbing in bedside her. "Sleep." And I pulled her to my chest, kissing her forehead.

I closed my eye's, holding Chloe, listening to her, reassuring her and god I liked it, being here with Chloe. It just felt so fucking nice, it really did.