Chapter 11

Chloe's POV

I was sick of the bathroom and I was tired, so fucking tired, but I stayed there, for Matt. He went between laying on the floor and shoving his head in the toilet, the whole time talking under his breath. He was angry, but it was the lack of alcohol, the craving that was causing his anger. The things he was muttering made my hair stand on end more than once, but I knew he didn't mean it, right now he just hated everything.

We spent so long on the floor, Matt delirious, but finally he seemed to come around enough that I suggested group. We'd missed it yesterday, but that couldn't be helped, Matt had been in no state to sit in a room with other people.

He was angry that I was making him go to group, but too bad, I was tired too and the last thing I felt like doing was group. Bed, that was all I wanted.

I grabbed a coffee before going in and what I saw made me cringe. Jerry, sitting there looking as smug as fuck.

He unsettled me, the way he looked at me, it was like he was undressing me with his eye's and it made me so uncomfortable.

As soon as we walked in he started on Matt and that bothered me, and I knew it bothered Matt. Matt was at a stage where you didn't want to aggravate him and I was worried they would end up punching on in the middle of group.

It didn't matter anyway, Matt ended up standing in the corner and heaving into a trash barrel while Jerry continued to make snide remarks and I slept with my eye's open.

Thank god it went quick and I needed food. I dragged Matt to the dining room and I grabbed everything I could. Things were not over yet and I needed food to fuel my body. I was just so fucking tired.

Soon, I knew soon Matt's body would give in and he would he sleep and I was looking forward to that, so so much.

Matt went into the shower and I was relieved, I needed five minutes to myself, so I went in, got changed and then sat on the couch, eating half a sandwich.

The sandwich tasted so good and I leant my head back, closing my eye's for just a second, or so I thought.

I snapped my head up and glanced at the clock. Nearly half an hour had passed.

I stood up, noticing the bathroom door was still shut and I walked over, listening.

"Matt?" I asked, knocking softly. "Are you okay?"

"Fuck off." He snapped and I could hear him in there.

"Open the door." I asked quietly.

"No." He snapped back. "How about you fuck off and leave me alone for once."

I sighed, shaking my head. He obviously didn't realise that the doors here didn't lock, we needed to be able to access every room when needed.

I grabbed the door knob, turning it slowly, peeking in.

"What are you doing?" I whispered, watching him standing there.

"Fuck." He yelled, glaring at me. "Can I get any privacy?"

"Put it down Matt." I told him, watching him clutching a bottle of mouthwash.

"You can fuck off." He snapped and I watched as he raised it to his lips, taking a drink.

Alcoholics, they'll try anything to get a drink.

"Matt." I snapped, grabbing his arm. "It's non-alcoholic mouth wash."

He swung around looking at me, throwing the bottle, mouthwash spraying us both.

"What kind of person has non-alcoholic mouthwash." He screamed.

"An alcoholic." I mumbled, attempting to defuse the situation.

Obviously my attempt failed, because suddenly he reached out, grabbing me by the throat and pulling me towards him.

"You're fucking pathetic." He hissed, squeezing my throat.

Okay, this wasn't good. We were in a bathroom, by ourselves and Matt was losing it, big time.

I tried to take a breath in, but I couldn't and as I did Matt squeezed tighter.

Stay calm, I told myself, letting my hand drop down to my pocket, reaching in.

FUCK. I'd left it in my other pants, the pants that were currently laying on the bedroom floor. Oh I was screwed now, I was screwed big time and I cursed myself for being so irresponsible.

"Please stop." I squeaked, using the last bit of air in my lungs.

"SHUT UP." He screamed, squeezing my throat tighter and slamming me back into the wall.

I heard the noise my head made when it hit the wall, and I felt a wave of dizziness over come me. I attempted to take a breath but I couldn't, I couldn't get any air.

I looked at Matt, his eye's wide and angry. He was glaring at me and as I felt blood trickle down the back of my head I was sure he was going to kill me. Matt was gone, the person he was now was lost in the desire, the need for a drink and he would do anything for it.

"I JUST WANT TO LEAVE." He screamed, squeezing tighter.

I couldn't do or say anything. I just looked at him, praying I didn't pass out, but kind of wishing I would.

"I need a drink." He whispered, squeezing one last time before letting go.

I sucked in air, my throat burning and listened as Matt stormed out of the bathroom, slamming his bedroom door.

"Oh god." I whispered, bending over and breathing deeply, needing air and enjoying the feeling of my lungs filling. "Jesus."

I grabbed a towel, pressing it to my head then looking at it. There was blood coming from my head. I wasn't surprised, he'd slammed me with a lot of force.

I pressed it back to my head, walking out of the bathroom and straight to his bedroom door.

I opened the door softly and peered in. He was laying sideways on the bed snoring, he was sound asleep. Finally his body had given in and I was glad, glad for both of us.

I stumbled to the room, trying to breath. My throat felt like it was swelling and I grabbed my other pants, digging around in them, finding my personal alarm and pushing the button.

It took not even a minute before the door opened and Marcus came in, looking frantic.

"What?" He asked. "What's going on?"

I opened my mouth, but what came out was a pathetic squeak and I shook my head.

"Where is he now?" He asked and I pointed to the bedroom.

Marcus walked over, sticking his head in before closing the door. "You need the doctor." He muttered, getting out his phone and lifting it to his ear.

Thankfully we had an on site doctor and it didn't take long before he made an appearance in the room, checking me over.

"No stitches are needed." He told me as I sat on the couch, still shaking. "But keep sucking on the ice and you'll be sore and sorry for a few days."

"God Chloe." Marcus mumbled, sitting next to me after the doctor had left. "This was a bad idea."

I grabbed a piece of ice, placing it in my mouth, sucking it and enjoying the feeling of the coolness go down my throat.

"No." I whispered. "It's okay, really."

He looked at me, shaking his head. "I'd change if I could."

He was right of course, we couldn't change clients now, we were too far in, we'd all built an odd relationship with our partners, they were relying on us now.

Besides, I kind of didn't want to change partners anyway. I liked Matt, even if he did try to kill me.