Chapter 21

Author's Note: Geez, I can't believe it's been about a month since I've last updated! And there's also a Natza Week? About damn time. (Well, it might be late but still, Happy Natza Week.)

Sorry about that, I also just got Borderlands Handsome Collection and Mafia 3 for PS4 and I'm kind of addicted to both of them at this point, haha. If you'd like to add my PSN gamertag, it's vV-CrUst-Vv.

Anyways, thanks for being very patient for this author to update. And now, story time…

The blonde detective stared at the lifeless body of his wife, as she laid on the autopsy table in the medical examiner's room.

Her hair, let loose and combed. Her body, washed gently to show her cuts and bruises. Her clothes, all bloodied and neatly laid out on trays to take to evidence room. Even in death, her body was taken in to great consideration among her loved ones. She had a blanket that covered her chest, all the way down to her thighs, showing some respect for her body.

The detective continued to stare at her, silently mourning his loss. "I…I'm sorry…"

He placed his hand on her cheek, caressing her cold skin. He would never again feel her warmth, feel the lovely touch she once had. Everything he would remember from her would vanish, it was only a matter of time when it did.

"I… I should've never left you alone… it's my fault…" He brought his hand back, deeply sighing as he held and fought back some tears.

"This was never you fault, Laxus." A voice from behind. The detective turned around and in the doorway, stood Freed, one of the medical examiners.

"Oh, hey Freed," Laxus greeted him. The green haired man walked towards the table. "How long have you been there?"

"Just got here when you started to blame yourself for this," Freed hovered next to him and the body. "This isn't your fault, like I said." Freed sighed, deeply looking at the body. The sight of her, the sight of seeing a friend end up in their autopsy table, it made him feel a small squeeze in his stomach.

"But it is…" Laxus swallowed some saliva, feeling guilty of her death. "I should have never left her alone at the restaurant… I should've known the tip was a trap to lure me away… it's my fault…"

"Do I have to slap you?" Freed threatened.

"Pardon?" Laxus was surprised to hear those words coming from him, of all people. Surely Evergreen bug Freed? It sure made him surprised.

"Am I going to have to slap you in the head?" He repeated, voice clearly. "For the last time, and I hope this one doesn't go in from one ear and out the other, this is not your fault."

"…" Laxus went back to stare at Levy. Maybe he was right, maybe he shouldn't blame himself. Maybe not, he still felt guilt-stricken.

"Look," Freed could see the detective, hurting emotionally at the sight of her. His love for her was undeniably showing, which hurt the medical examiner emotionally as well. "This, right here, this isn't your fault. This was the work of a psycho maniac terrorist, thinking what's she's doing is for you, getting your attention, getting underneath your skin, don't let that happen."

"How can I when she took her life? How can I not give her my attention after this!?" The detective's tone was elevating. "How can this not get under my skin when Levy was the closest person in my life!?" The doctor's advice struck an unwanted nerve. "This… this personal now…"

"She wasn't just the only person in your life," Freed placed his left hand over Laxus' right shoulder, showing empathy towards his friend, telling him he's not alone in this grieving time. "She was my friend too, Evergreen's, Bickslow's, half of the precinct. You, my blonde friend, are not alone in this."