Chapter 17. || "Just say it, okay?"

En başından başla

And, of course, it wasn't Nathan's suite. Instead, a very, very pale shirtless Jay opened up the door. He looked really sleepy as well, and you could say that he'd been sleeping because his hair was all tousled, plus he was rubbing his eyes and was wearing his sleeping shorts. And, somehow I felt like laughing, because of all of the goddamned people that could've been in the hotel, it had to be exactly Jay. Especially after I haven't talked to him since Nathan and I saw him and Aubree in the amusement park.

—Oh God! Jay sorry I was looking for Nath's suite, I didn't mean to wake you up. —I said, alarmed.

Jay, who was still rubbing his eyes, still didn't know it was me, but when he indeed opened up his eyes, he put his arms over his chest, to cover himself up. —Ashley! I... Don't worry, you didn't wake me up. I was looking for some water when you knocked the door. 

—Uh, nice to know. It was good to see you. —I didn't know what else to say, so I extended my arm to knock on the door next to Jay's, but he stopped me.

—Actually, Ashley, now that you're here... I need to talk to you. —Jay said.

I dropped my arm to my said with a clap. —Sure, what's up? —I said as I put locks of hair that fell on each side of my head behind my ears.

—Come in, and I will tell you inside. —Jay moved to one side, letting me in.

It's not like I was mentally preparing for this to happen, but I knew I eventually had to ask him "Hey, what's going on between you and my friend?" and he was going to have to answer me, but I was pretty sure it wasn't going to happen under these circumstances.

Jay guide me to his room, and I was not sure why he was doing it. Then, I realized it was because he wanted to put a shirt on. I would have laughed if it wasn't because we were about to have a serious talk, since Jay was always self-conscious about his body and skin color: see, he is very, very, very, VERY pale. He turned around as he was looking for a t-shirt on his messed-up luggage. —Sit down. —he told me. I looked down and only saw his bed, and well, I had no other option so I just sat down.

Then Jay, with a sigh, sat down next to me. He looked at me. —I know you're probably really confused—He started saying, but I cut him off.

—I'm not confused. At all. 

He looked away, and some color flushed in his cheeks. He then cleared his throat. —Well, then let me start this differently —He paused—. I bet you certainly want to ask me some things. 

I thought about it for a moment. It wasn't 100% true, but I gave it a shot. —Yes, I do. 

—Go ahead. —I slowly watched as the light drained out of his eyes. They got tougher, almost black. He tensed his jaw.

—What's going on between you and Aubree? —I asked, and then swallowed.

—We're going out. At least, we were last time I checked.

—Humm... —was all I said—. Now, your turn. 

—How long have you and...? Well, when did you and Nathan realize you still felt the same way? —He asked me—. Because I didn't know that you had broken up with Patrick more than a week ago. Aubree was the one who told me. 

I bit my lip. I wanted to tell him that I never actually went out with Patrick, but I knew it would hurt him, because if it wasn't because of it, we would've had a shot together. I didn't even want to tell Nathan. I felt embarrassed of it, and I wanted to keep the people who know about it to the minimum. —The day of his birthday, when I had to make sure he wasn't around so you guys could organize everything, I asked him to come to my place. And, well, you guessed it. He kissed me. And since then I knew that he still felt something.