Chapter 13

Jalissa
---------

"POP! POP! POP! POP! POP! POP!"

I immediately hit the floor. Blood starting trickling down my arm and it started staining my shirt. I cried while looking down at my wound. I was in so much pain, my arm was burning so was my chest. I looked up at Sarayah who was lying on the ground next to me. Her eyes were shut closed.

I started shaking her, but she didn't budge. I started crying.

I heard another round of guns and a car skirted off. I heard footsteps running and my body went numb. I could feel myself floating in and out of consciousness. Kesean, Marquise, Jamal, Eli, and like 5 other guys I didn't know we're standing over me. They were gang bangers I assumed. And then I was unconscious.

Elijah
-------

I heard the gun shots and slouched down in my seat. Trying to avoid a stray bullet. I shook my head, digging in my pockets for my keys. I heard screaming and people running out the party. I seen Sarayah pulling Jalissa and running, they ran past my car. Sarayah hit the floor. She was shot. I looked to the left to hop out the car and there was a nigga by my window shooting, I ain't wana just hop out on him and he turn and shoot me. They were bussin at every and anybody. They didn't give a fuck. He didn't even see me in the car though. Thank God for my Tinted windows! I reached in my glove compartment for my heat, it was gone? I looked under my seat and it wasn't there either. I looked under my passenger seat and there it was. I grabbed it and I was about to jump out the car and start bussin' on these niggas. I'm not a gangbanger but I'm affiliated. All my family is from Nayborhood Rollin 6O's. I wasn't tryna start no war between these niggas but I had to protect myself. I wasn't about to shoot nobody unless my life was personally threatened.

BOOM! Glass shattered out from my back left window. I ducked down and put my hands over my head tryna protect myself. Damn. I was right in the middle of this bullshit. A couple of the homies that do gang bang, that were from Nayborhood rolled up on ole dude that was by my car and shot him. I looked up and down the street before jumping out the car. I seen a dude saying something to Jalissa while she was trying to drag Sarayah to the car, there was blood everywhere. Damn I hope Sarayah ain't dead, I thought to myself. She was just standing there frozen. He pulled out a gun and a few seconds later he started shooting at her. She hit the floor and my heart dropped. The homies ran up on them and started shooting, they skirted off. I hopped out the car and ran behind Kesean, Marquise, and Jamal. We all rushed over to Sarayah and Jalissa. They were both covered in blood and unconscious. Another group of the homies ran up. My cousin was one of them, he was from Nayborhood too.

"Chuckie! Help me get them in the car!" I yelled to him picking up Jalissa. She was still breathing. I sighed in relief, but who's to say she ain't dying? I quickly reclined the front seat in my car and laid her on top of it. Kesean sat in the back with Sarayah. I rolled up past Jalissa's car and threw Chuckie Jalissa's keys. "Meet me at the hospital." I yelled to him and sped off to the hospital. I knew I could trust him of all niggas to deliver Jalissa's car safely. No games.

"Jalissa, stay with me ma!" I said to her even though she was unconscious and probably couldn't hear me.

"She breathing?" I asked Kesean referring to Sarayah.

"Yeah man, hardly though." He said his voice cracking. He sound like he was about to cry. I turned around but he had a straight face. I looked at Jalissa who was bloody.

"FUCK!" I yelled hitting my steering wheel as we stopped at a red light. I wasn't about to pull up to the hospital with two dead girls in my arms. I CANT!

"Don't die on me man, we gone get y'all there!" I told them.

I banked corners and swerved in and out of lanes. I was doing 90. The whole time I spoke to Jalissa. I tried to wake her up but nothing. She would open her eyes weakly and shut them back. I was tryna be as strong as possible but I was breaking down. We finally made it to the hospital.

Me and Kesean hopped out and ran into the hospital with both girls in our arms. We ran into the ER and everybody gasped when we ran inside.

"We were in a shoot out! We need help now!" I yelled.

The lady at the counter hurried and yelled something into a microphone that came out of speakers all over the hospital.

People came running out of doors with gurneys. They placed both of them onto one and rushed them inside double doors. I tried to run in there but a nurse stopped me. "Not now" she said. My heart dropped. Then it started beating so fast. I was so scared for the both of them.

"FUCK!" I yelled out in frustration again and held my hands over my head.

The lady at the counter came from behind it. "sir, have a seat, well do everything we can to save their lives." She said in a calm voice. I ignored her. I was barely beginning to hangout with Jalissa, but just a few seconds ago I was holding her dying body in my arms. I felt a sort of attatchment to her right now. If she died I don't know how'd i sleep at night. It would always be a weight on my shoulder. I would question myself forever. Like what if I would've driven faster and got her to the hospital sooner? Like maybe I should've just jumped out the car and ran to her when Sarayah got hit? Despise ole dude by my car. I should've taken the bullet for her? Or maybe I should've shot him myself? Like what would of happened if I would've not tried to have sex with her in my car and she didn't go back inside the party? And I could've just driven her away from the scene? I started getting mad at myself and hopped out the chair I was sitting in. I stormed out the hospital and went to my car. I needed to be alone. I had to call her mom anyways.

When I picked up her phone she had 5 missed calls from her mom and a few unread messages. She probably heard about the shooting at the party. Her phone rang again and it was her mom. I answered.

"Hello?" I answered.

It got silent. "¿quién es usted?" She asked.

"Oh um...I don't speak Spanish." I said awkwardly.

"Oh I'm sorry mijo!" She said in a little Spanish accent. "Who is this and where is Jalissa?" She said getting back to the point.

My heart skipped a beat. How the fuck do I tell her mom that she's in the hospital?
"Um I'm Elijah, a friend of Jalissa's from school. She's in the ER." I finally said.

She gasped. "What? Why?!" She asked panicking.

"At the party, there was a shoot out and Jalissa got hit." I added.

"I'm on my way! What hospital mijo?!" She asked all in one breathe and then started crying.

"Kaiser." I told her.

"Okay! I'm coming!" She hung up.

I dropped my head. Man tonight turned into a fucking disaster. My car was full of blood. There was blood all In my backseat. Blood on my front seat. I wasn't trippin off it though, I got the money to replace this shit. I got chills at the sight of it though. I let out a big sigh I hid my gun under the dirt in the cut knowing they'd probably search my car as evidence or some bullshit. I grabbed Jalissa's phone and put it in my pocket. I walked back into the hospital. Kesean was sitting down with his head in his hands. He looked like he was crying, but I wasn't sure.

"You good bro?" I asked him.

He looked up and shook his head and rubbed the top of it. "This is some bullshit." He said.

I nodded. "On me, this is." I said in agreement.

"Any word on how they're doing?" I asked him.

He shook his head, "nothing."

I shook my head in disappointment.

The police walked in and walked to the lady at the counter. She pointed at us. And they walked over. "Hey you mind if we ask you two a few questions?" They asked us.

We nodded and followed them outside. I hate talking to the fucking pigs but I would look some type of way if I didn't.

"So what's you relationship to these young ladies?" He asked me.

"Friend from school." I replied.

"Just friends?"

"Just friends."

"What happened tonight?"

"We were all at a party and I was siting in my car-"

"Your car?"

"Yeah, me and Jalissa..the one who was shot was sitting in the car and she stormed off because she got mad at me." He gave me a suspicious look.

"What did you do to her?"

"I tried to take our relationship to the next level." I told him. He looked at me weird and nodded.

"Keep going."

"Then I stayed in my car, I was about to leave and go home but I heard gunshots. I started ducking and slouching in my seats. I seen Sarayah and Jalissa running and Sarayah fell, she got shot. Then my back window got busted out and that distracted me. When I looked back up a guy was pointing a gun at Jalissa while she was trying to get in the car. Then he fired and hit her. I ran over and put them in my car and drove them here."

"Description?" He asked.

I shook my head. "Rags on their faces, is all I could tell ya." I said.

He nodded. "Thanks." And closed his little book that he was taking notes on.

I walked back into the hospital.

"Can I see them?" I asked the lady.

She shook her head. "They're in surgery at the moment." She said politely.

"Well could you at least tell me how they're doing?" I asked.

She shook her head. "All I know is they're both in critical condition." My heart dropped.

"I'm sorry sweetie." She said softly and rubbed my back.

"Your girlfriend?" She asked referring to Jalissa.

"Not quite." I said walking away from her.

"Wassup what she say?" Kesean asked as I sat next to him.

I look at him with a shocked look, "critical condition."

His face dropped. "You fucking joking." He said lightly. He stood up "YOU GOTTA BE FUCKING KIDDING ME!" He yelled towards the desk where the nurse were. "WHAT THE FUCK YALL GETTING PAID FOR?" He yelled again. Everyone in the waiting room looked at him.

"Bro, chill." I said putting my hand on his shoulder.

"Nah! My nigga this some bullshit!" He said and stormed out the automatic doors. I shook my head. I'll let him be alone, he's hurt obviously and he's acting out in anger.

"Sorry about that." I said to the ladies at their desks.

They nodded and slightly smiled.

A short Hispanic lady came walking in quickly. She was on the phone speaking Spanish really fast. She had on some black exercise pants with some black Nike running shoes and a white nike jacket. She had a channel purse on her shoulder. Her hair was long and down her back, it was wavy. She looked like she was 25. She was very pretty, she looked like an older Jalissa. Her sister, I'm guessing.

She walked up to the desk super quick. "My baby was shot at a party, I need to see her!" She yelled hysterically. She wasn't on the phone anymore.

"Okay, name ma'am?" The lady at the front desk asked calmly.

"Jalissa Gutierrez." The Spanish lady said.

"Are you the mother?" The lady at the front desk asked.

She nodded.

"Okay well ma'am, yes your daughter has been shot and she's in surgery right now. You will not be able to see her until she comes out."

Tears formed In her eyes, "how long?"

"Within an hour or two." The lady at the desk said.

Her mom went and sat down. I decided to walk over there.

"You're Jalissa's mom?" I asked her.

"Yes." She nodded looking at me in a weird way.

"I'm Elijah, the guy you talked to on the phone." I said and shook her hand.

"Hi." She said wiping her tears and smiling a broken smile. She was so beautiful even through the tears. I seen where Jalissa got her looks from. She looked so young though. Hard to believe that was her moms.

I smiled and said hi back.

"Were you there when all of this happened?" She asked me.

I nodded.

"What happened?" She asked me crying. "Why did SHE get shot?" She asked again as the police walked up on us.

I looked up at them. "You should probably ask them." I told her.

She looked up at them. "What happened to my daughter?!" She asked.

"Come with me ma'am." One of the officers said and they walked off.

I sighed and put my head into my hands. I can't believe this is happening right now. Jalissa just moved out here, she ain't deserve this. She don't even know the damn people that shot her. She was just tryna get out of there. I hope alls okay with her. My thoughts were interrupted when a black lady walked in.

"Sarayah Unique Thomas! I need to see my daughter right mothafucken NOW!" She demanded to the lady at the counter.

"Ma'am, please calm down." The lady responded.

"Look Erika! I don't have time to be calm! MY BABY WAS JUST FUCKING SHOT! I NEED TO SEE HER!" She yelled at the top of her lungs. I wonder how she knew the lady's name? Her name tag or something?

The lady's eyes got big. "I'm sorry, but she's in surgery right now, and we can not allow anyone in to see her."

"I don't give a fuck about none of that!" She said putting her hands in Erika's face and trying to walk through the double doors.

"Ma'am please have a seat." A security guard asked jumping in between the path of her and the doors.

"Look Juan, you betta get the fuck out my way!" She said in a calm voice. That's when I knew she was making up names for these people. I giggled under my breathe, sarayah's mom is WILD.

"If you don't calm down, were going to have to ask you to leave. I understand you're upset and you want to see your daughter. You will get to see her just not right now." The security guard said in response and shut her up. She walked and sat in a seat by herself and started crying. I lowered my head. I felt so bad. That must be a really ugly feeling. Knowing your daughter may be possibly dying and you can't even go see her. I can't even imagine the pain.

Jalissa's mom came walking back into the double doors. She walked up to me and hugged me. "Thank you so much sweetie." She said to me in between tears. She let go and looked at me.

I had a confused look on my face.

"For driving my baby aquí!" She said in a "duh" tone.

I smiled and pulled up my pants. "You're very welcome ma'am." I responded.

"Ay! Call me Andrea." She said in a Spanish accent.

"Alright." I said.

"GUTIERREZ and THOMAS!" The lady at the front desk yelled. We all walked over.

"Um, both of them should be out of surgery in a few. They'll be moved to ICU which is on the third floor. You can go wait for them up there in that waiting room." She told us.

"Gracias!" Andrea said and rushed to the elevator. Me and Sarayah's mom weren't too far behind. Kesean walked through the doors and I waved to him to come on. He ran into the elevator before it closed.

We waited in the waiting room for what seemed like to be forever.

"Gutiérrez family?" A tall man walked out and said.

Andrea stood up. "Right here!" She answered. She grabbed her purse and walked over. I followed her.

"Hi miss. So we were able to remove the bullet. It BARELY missed her heart, so she was very fortunate."

"So she's going to be okay?!" Andrea asked anxious.

"From the looks of it, yes."

"Can we go see her?" She asked grabbing my hand.

He nodded. "Yes." He turned and pointed. "Room 302."

Andrea rushed in there. Jalissa's eyes opened a little bit at the sound of her mom's voice. I smiled.

"Mommy's here baby. I'm here baby." She said running her fingers through Jalissa's hair. Jalissa smiled a little and her eyes gently closed.

"I'm gonna go check on Sarayah." I told her mom.

She nodded. Jalissa's eyes opened slightly again and she looked and me and gently smiled. I smiled too. She looked so peaceful but at the same time so weak. She looked like she couldn't move her body even if she wanted to.

I walked out and into the waiting room. My smile faded when I seen Sarayah's mom crying hysterically. Kesean was rubbing her back and looked heartbroken. I walked over to them.

I nodded my head in concern. "The doctor said it don't look like Sarayah gone make it man. The bullet went in through her back and out through her stomach. She lost a lot of blood." He said shaking his head.

I looked down and my heart dropped. This is some fucked up shit. I done seen people get killed left and right in the hood. I done seen people get shot at. But everytime the look that their love ones have, hurts my heart a little. It's really fucked up. I done had a couple of my close homies get shot and killed, but never no girls. Maybe that's why it was getting to me. They ain't even have nothing to do with this gang banging shit. Just innocent lives being taken.

I said a prayer for her and her mom and Kesean. I prayed that she would be okay. And that all this would work out for the best. Sarayah's mom prayed along with me.

"Could we go see her?" I asked when we were done praying.

"They said not yet."

I shook my head, the looks of this weren't too good. I could just feel it.

"I'll be back." I said and walked back into Jalissa's room. Her mom smiled when she seen me. I smiled back. I took a seat next to Jalissa's bed and sat there in silence with Sarayah heavy on my mind. Just a few hours ago she was just dancing and having the time of their life. It was crazy. Jalissa was knocked out. Must be the medication.

Kesean stuck his head through the door and me and Andrea looked up.

"We could go in now." He told me.

"I'll be back." I said and excused myself.

When we walked in Sarayah didn't look much like herself. She wasn't smiling like she always was. She looked like she was in a lot of pain. She looked half dead to be honest.

Her mom was crying silent tears and rubbing Sarayah. This time, when Sarayah's mom spoke to her she didn't even respond, unlike Jalissa who smiled. It was like she wasn't even with us. Her heart monitor was beating but it didn't even feel like she was alive. We all sat and watched her in silence. Every so often Kesean would just gaze out the window. I was really feeling his pain. That was his girl lying on this hospital bed barely breathing. Her carried her shot up, bloody body into this hospital. We sat there for a while, and the only sounds that were being made is Sarayah's mom cries and Sarayah's heart monitor. Then the heart monitor suddenly went flat.

"NURSE!!!!!!" Kesean yelled out the door.

Jalissa
--------

"CODE BLUE" came over the loud speaker and it woke me up. I looked around to see I was in the hospital. I seen my mom smiling at me. What the fuck was I doing here? Then it came back to me. The gang bangers at the party. Sarayah getting shot. The gang bangers trying to carjack me. And then they shot me. I remembered being in Eli's car and feeling my chest and arm burning, I remember him telling me everything was gonna be okay. Where was he anyways? Where was Sarayah?

"Where's Sarayah?" I asked my mom.

"She's here too baby. She's resting, just like you should be." She told me.

"Is she okay? There was blood everywhere! Is she alive?!" I asked crying and getting worried.

"Shhhh. Relax mama. She's in the other room." My mom said rubbing my head.

Eli came into the room with a blank expression. He had blood all over his clothes. My blood? My mom frowned and looked at me then back at Eli.

"Oh no.." She said and put her hand over her mouth.

Eli looked at me then back at my mom and nodded.

"That was for her?" My mom asked.

He nodded.

"What's going on?" I asked.

Nobody said anything.

"Where's Sarayah?!" I asked getting upset.

"They pushed us out of the room." Eli said. "They just kept saying code blue." He added.

My eyes formed tears. "She died?" I asked.

He shrugged his shoulders and looked down. "I don't know." He said softly.

I fainted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I woke up to the sun shining through the hospital curtains. I looked to my right and Eli was knocked out in a chair. I gazed at him, my hero. He aves my life. I probably would've been dead on the concrete had it not been for him. He had on some charcoal sweats and a black sweater that had A&F written on it in grey, with some black and grey KD's. He changed from last night. He looked so cute, as always. While he was sleeping, he looked even more cuter. I smiled as I watched him sleep. Just the simple fact I woke up to him by my bed side made me smile. My mom wasn't in the room. But there were a thing of flowers, balloons, and a big teddy bear. I smiled at that. My smile faded when I realized why I was in here and that I hadn't seen Sarayah.

A nurse walked in. "Oh hey! You're awake!" She said smiling.

I smiled back.

"I just need to fix this." She said fixing something in my IV. I watched her as she did it.

"Are you hungry?" She asked me.

"Not really." I responded.

"Ok well I'm your nurse Angela. Just let me know if you need ANYTHING with this." She handed me some thing to call her on.

I smiled "thank you." I said.

"I'll be back to check on you in a little." She said and turned around.

"Wait, Angela?" I asked stopping her.

"What is it, Hun?" She asked so sweetly.

"Do you know id Sarayah Thomas is okay? She was brought in with me last night." I said.

My heart started beating really fast, scared for her answer.

"She's doing fine, don't worry." She said smiling at me.

I smiled back relieved. She walked out.

I laid my head back, relaxing. Happy that Sarayah was okay.