Captivated

5.26.15

_____

"... Please leave a message after the beep."

Beep.

"Hey... Just another weekly update on my status here in Seoul... I've been eating well and I've been healthy. School has been great as well. Just... please give me a call back sometime soon okay? I love you! I'll give you another call soon. Bye..."

Sighing, I let my hand drop to my lap and stared blankly at the empty street in front of me. It's been exactly three months since I left Busan and started my life in Seoul on my own. It's been difficult to find a company that would take in a girl with absolutely no professional music experience though. After a few calming breaths I managed to stand and walk back into the small music store behind me to clock back in from my break, a small smile pasted onto my face.

"Nari-ah! Come here! You have to see this new video that Beast just released! They are just too perfect!"

An exasperated chuckle left my lips as I spotted my coworker, Yoonmi, fawning over the video playing on her phone. I leaned over the counter to see her favorite group's new music video playing.

"You do realize that our manager could walk out of his office at anytime and scold us for not actually working right?" I teased her as she giggled to herself. She waved her hand at me, telling me to shush as her Kikwang oppa appeared on the screen. I rolled my eyes and walked over to a box of new albums that needed to be put up for display. As I began setting up the new display shelf, I heard the soft tinkling of bells.

"Welcome to K-Poppin' Beats! Please let me know if you need any help!" I piped up as I saw a guy walk into the store. He glanced over at me and nodded as he went down another aisle. I placed the last few albums onto the shelf and brought the now empty box back to the counter.

"Yoonmi unnie do you know if we got the new shipment o-"

"Shh! Listen!"

Annoyed at being interrupted, I was going to question why I would want to listen to more of Beast's new song when I realized Yoonmi was no longer on her phone, but staring awestruck at something behind me. It was then that I heard the soft strumming of a guitar. My line of vision shifted from my coworker to the lone figure sitting in the back, his fingers ghosting over the strings of a guitar and a sweet melody floating throughout the small shop. The unfamiliar chords seemed to possess my very being and I felt myself being captivated by this stranger. All too soon it was over as he suddenly stopped playing as the sound of a phone ringing. The boy quickly left after answering his phone and I exhaled, not even realizing that I had been holding my breath.

"Yah! Nari-ah! Wasn't that customer cute?"

"What?" I glanced away from the door and stared blankly back at Yoonmi. Not hearing what she had just asked me. She was staring dreamily at the door and winked at me.

"He was cute wasn't he?" she repeated, beaming. I blinked a couple times before shrugging.

"I honestly don't even remember what he looked like," I mumbled.

"WHAT?! How could you not notice what a cutie he was? You were staring at him just as much as I was! You practically had stars in your eyes!" Yoonmi gasped.

"I was more focused on the guitar..." I muttered, my face growing warm. Yoonmi sighed and shook her head at me.

"You are something else Nari. Only you wouldn't notice a cute guy and only pay attention to an instrument. I do have to admit though, his song was pretty good," she giggled. I nodded my head in agreement and softly hummed the melody to myself as I went back to work.