Fight From the Inside

December 31, 2014

Baby Nug-Face 30 weeks - size of cucumber

- Julia's POV -
John and Veronica got to bring the twins home on Boxing Day so I spent every day, since then, over at their place. Mum was going through that phase where he only wanted to "do it" with Dad so I was happy to be out of their hair for a couple hours- Mum gave Dad a look then I knew I had to leave the house.

Dad and I were sitting on the couch, he was thumbing through a construction magazine (yeah, it's a thing) and I was trying to finish my Winter reading, then Mum came down and he just looked distressed.

"Jimmy, I need to talk to you- upstairs." He fidgeted with his hands and Dad put the magazine down.

"Oh, I know that you two are going to do it!" I exclaimed. "Just give me a minute and I'll be out." I sighed while I put a book mark in my book. "You can do it wherever you want to but please clean it up this time!" I don't want to talk about last time...

I left the house and I crossed the snow covered lawn to get to the Deacon house. I rang the doorbell then Veronica answered- she always looked so happy and well rested even though they had two newborns that hated sleep.

"Hey, you couldn't have come at a better time!" She smiled. "I'm just going to run to the shop- we don't have any groceries left. Will you be okay with John and the little ones?" She asked and I nodded- she let me in then she left.

I walked through the house and down into their living room- there were two stairs in their kitchen that went to the living room. John was sitting on the recliner and he had the nursing pillow around him, again- the twins were laying on it and they were kicking against his ribs.

"Don't kick Daddy, that's mean." He whispered, with a small giggle, while he stroked Michelle's wrinkly little foot.

I didn't want to walk in on this little moment so I stood in the entranceway and I just watched.

"I said don't kick me, it's very rude, Michelle." Maybe Michael was asleep- he slept more than Michelle did. I moved over a bit so I could see the baby's face, she was smiling and sucking on her fist. "You're so pretty." John breathed out while he gently ran his knuckles over her light blonde, almost white, hair.

John was so in love with these little babies. Sure, they were his kids, but I had never seen so much love for things that looked like potatoes- chubby potatoes.

"Auntie Julia is here." I spoke softly then John turned to face me- he had the biggest smile I had ever seen.

"Julia!" He squeaked. "I missed you." He hummed while I plopped onto the recliner next to his- there were two and a small side table separating them.

"I was here yesterday." I giggled while I sat criss cross applesauce.

"I know but I missed you and the babies missed you." He smiled while he covered Michael's belly with his free hand. "Do you want one?" He asked while he looked down at the newborns.