Stacey was grinning widely and let out a happy scream as she nearly tackled Dakota to the ground. “I’m so glad you came! The last time you stayed here was freshman year!”

“I know.” Dakota laughed gently, and hugged her back before pulling away and shuffling awkwardly on her feet. She nibbled on her lower lip and broke eye contact with everyone, crossing her arms over herself as she strayed back against my truck. What was up with her all of a sudden?

If Stacey noticed, she didn’t say anything about it. She only smiled my way, a little flirty, and strutted her hips over to me. “Elijah, hey.” She purred, and rose up on her toes in order to wrap her arms around my neck.

“Hi.” I said, a little breathless. She smelt of the ocean and sunblock. Her skin was slightly sticky, but smooth as always. My fingers pressed into the small of her back and I pulled her closer.

I felt two pairs of eyes on us. I was most surprised of the look from Dakota. She didn’t look angry, or even upset. In fact, her eyes held no emotion. They were bland and it looked like she was somewhere else. It was as though she was staring right through me and atomically, I broke apart from Stacey, my hands still lingering awkwardly over her hips.

Stacey’s head cocked all too adorably to the side and her eyebrows came down. “How was the ride?” She inquired.

My head rolled bluntly toward Dakota. I raised my eyebrows accusingly at her, but she only shrugged and moved over to greet Ryan. His smile was too big and his eyes too bright as he engulfed her in a hug.

“Well, come in!” Stacey said and grabbed Dakota’s hand, dragging her up the three front steps and through the screen door.

The house had a small family room with a box television and a couch and two matching chairs. The family room cut off to the kitchen which was only a square box with a stove and steel countertop. The bathroom was right off to the kitchen and farther back was the only two bedrooms. The walls were painted a sea blue and the floor had no rugs, only tile which held strains of sand.

Stacey still held onto Dakota’s hands and grinned happily, stopping in the middle of the family room. She looked over at me then down at the suitcases in my hands. “Eli, you can put those in there.” She pointed to the bedroom with the door still closed. “That’s your room.”

Dakota’s eyes got so wide they nearly popped right out of the sockets. “You mean, w-were sharing a r-room?” She stuttered and her bottom lip trembled as she said it.

“Of course, don’t be silly.” Stacey laughed, girly and high pitched. ”Ryan and I are using my parents room and you and Elijah can have my room.”

Dakota was now a deep crimson red and her eyes glanced over at the bedroom nervously before back to Stacey. Stacey’s eyebrows were arched. “Are you nervous? Have you guys, not done” She trailed off and glanced between both of us. “Done it yet?”

I resisted the urge to laugh out loud. Dakota flushed even deeper, if possible, and looked ready to deny it, but before she had the chance, I dropped the bags and stepped forward. Wrapping my arms around her shoulders from behind, I rest my chin on the top of your head. “Stacey, let’s just say, this girl can’t keep her hands off me.” I snickered quietly under my breath.