Chapter 48

Skylars P.O.V

We get back to town and I fear what I'm going to say to Elspeth, although I'm hoping she's not dead too since I haven't seen her since we left for war. I get out of the truck slowly and cautiously carrying Ava. I stare at her beautiful face and start to cry. She never deserved any of this, she was too young. I start walking toward the statue that we make announcements on and everyone in the middle of town stares at mouths covering their mouths with their hands in shock. Her neck doesn't bleed anymore but it's like a dark red almost purple color that just makes me feel even worse. I march toward the statue scared if Elspeth is here or not. I turn a corner to see her staring at me with her hands covering her mouth completely shocked.

She runs over to me and balls her eyes out. "What happened to my baby?" She asks sobbing loudly. "A cruel government man shot her." I say crying as well, as I open my arms to pass Ava to her loving mother. She holds her close and sobs. "My baby!" She cries. Everyone in town tries to help us feel better. Many people start to bring candles and put them all around us. Elspeth holds Ava tight as the candles are set around us and the people watch as we will soon be saying goodbye to Ava. Ben holds onto me as we watch Elspeth hold the little girl. Zach comes around the corner and we both meet each other's eyes. I start to cry.

I run across the crowd and run to Zach. "Hey Skylar, what's going on? What are all of these candles for?" He asks. I hug him tightly, I think of him as my older brother. "Skylar, what's going on?" He asks a little more stern. I release him and he looks into my eyes with tears running down my face. "Zach, ummmm there's something that happened in that war and its not something small it's pretty huge." I say wiping my eyes. Ben comes up behind me and puts his arms around me. "I don't really know how to say it." "Skylar what?!" He yells at me. "Ava is dead!" I shout them cover my mouth from what I had just said. "Ava is dead?" He asks his eyes turning red with tears. "Yes, she was shot." I say crying more. "Who shot her? Was it you?" He asks wth an angry look on his face. "No! I would never! It was a government man! How could accuse me of something that awful?!" I ask angrily. "Where is she?" He asks and Ben points to the statue. "Where's dad and Zion?" I ask. "Dad took her to the hospital do you want to go see her?" He asks. I nod and we head to the hospital.

Once we there we ask the lady what floor she's on and really weird and ironically she's on floor four. We head to floor four and as soon as I walk into the waiting room I see dad. "How's she doing?" I ask. "She's doing good, the doctor thinks she'll live, how are you doing?" He asks. "Not good." I say and start to cry. "Oh come here." Dad says opening his arms wide. And I run into him and he holds me like he did when I was a little girl. Ben sits next to me and holds my hand. "Sky stop thinking it was your fault, it wasn't." Ben says. "Yes it was! I should've stayed with her and protected her like I told her I would. That little girl never deserved this!" I say sobbing into my fathers chest. "Skylar it was not your fault stop saying it was! And not to forget she's in such a better place right now. Remember how scared she was? She was screaming and crying through the whole war. The man who shot her was very cruel, but she's not scared anymore. She's waving to you from up above. And she's saying she loves you. I don't know if you noticed but you were like an older sister to her." Dad says.

"I miss her, and I would've loved to be her older sister. But she had to go." I say wiping my eyes. "Let's head back to town and start planning a funeral." Dad says. Ben and I nod and we stand up from our chairs and right as we're about to leave the nurse calls us. "Ma'am wait! Zion is up for visiting now, and she's doing great!" The nurse says with excitement. "Ummm okay let's go see her first." Dad says and we head to the patient hallway. The nurse leads us to a door that's hers and she opens the door. As soon as she opened the door I see Zion sitting up in bed and the doctor giving her a shot. She looks at me and she smiles. "Hey guys." She says. "Hey Zion." I say and sit on the edge of her bed. "Okay your all done with your shots, good job Zion!" The doctor says and leaves the room. I give her a hug and the boys sit down and we start to talk. "So what happened? Did we win the war?" Zion asks. I completely forgot about the war! "Yes! We did win the war!" I say enthusiastically. "Now freedom will ring! Now Elspeth won't have to hide Ava anymore, right?" She asks happily. "Zion, Ava is dead." Ben says softly. "She is?" "Yes. She loved you though and she wouldn't want you to be sad. She'd want you to be happy. I was sad but now that I think of it she's just waving to us from up above." I say trying to help. "Yeah you're right." She says wiping a tear. Someone knocks and her door and comes in and I'm shocked!

It's the doctor.

"Zion you are free to go home now but you need to take your pills three times a day after every meal. Do not and I mean DO NOT take them on an empty stomach!" He says with a smile. "Okay thank you!" Zion says grabbing her cloths. "Let me change then we'll head home." She says. A minute later she's in her normal clothes and holding her hospital form of instructions about her pills and her pill bottle. We hop in the truck and drive back to town and start planning for Ava's funeral.

Authors note: Hey guys! Devastating chapter I know, I know but I totally got you guys when the doctor walked in and there was tension but it was just the doctor 😂. Question of the day, do you think it was Skylars fault that Ava died? Comment what you think and why. Don't forget to vote, read, comment, and share. We are almost at 1k you guys! I'm so happy! Also Expired is coming to an end. 😢 but a sequel is coming out soon! So make sure you follow me so you'll get notified when it comes out! Thanks readers!