Chapter 7

We keep walking towards my home. Every step I take I find hope that I can help my mother. Ben doesn't say anything until we finally reach my house. We stand on the front lawn, I can't believe we made it. Three days it took to get where we are now. Well, three days, 2 broken windows, a phyco path nurse, a trunk of a tree, a vision, an old woman, and a boy,

"Ben?" "Yeah?" "How come you helped me? I mean I don't have any problem with it but I was a complete stranger and you just came and you slept in the middle of the woods just for me. But why?" I ask. "Because you seemed really scared, like you were lost and to be completely honest, I'm not actually an explorer." He says. "Pfffffff hahahaha" I start laughing. "What's so funny?" "You think I didn't know that from the start?" He asked. "Well, common who's an explorer for a living?" I ask and laugh more.

"Yeah I guess your right." He says and laughs a little too. "But I just was there because I go out there to get away." "After I saw you I knew you needed help I just felt it. He says. "Well, we best better go inside." I say. "Okay, let's do it." He says. We walk up to the door and knock on it. After a moment someone opens the door. It's Danielle.

"Oh my gosh, Danielle!" I say and wrap my arms around her giving her a hug. "Oh Skylar I thought you'd never make it back!" She said. "Well I'm here now." I say. I gasp. "Where's mother?" I ask. "Oh yes right this way she says and escorts us to my mothers bedroom. I was sort of confused that she didn't even ask about Ben. I mean, if that were my mother she would've said "Oh and who's this cute young man you brought home?". But she didn't say a word. It's almost like she didn't notice he was there.

"This way." I say to Ben grabbing his hand and leading him to her bedroom. When we open the door there my mother is laying helpless on the bed. "Mom!" I call out and rush over to her to give her a hug. Her eyes open and they look at me. "Thanks goodness you're okay." She says weakly. "Thank goodness you're okay. I was so worried about you! How did you even escape the fire?" I ask. "I went in to find you but there was fire everywhere. I thought to myself I knew my daughter well enough that she's smart and she'd found a way to escape. I went in and there wasn't really a way out so I was about to run out because I was sure I saw you through the window outside in the grass, but then firefighters found saw me and I was trying to get to them but then the floor broke."

"The floor broke and I fell to floor three. I got up and looked around. I ran to the back where there wasn't a lot of fire and I jumped out a window and that's when I saw Danielle and she was out of her coma. I thought she was carried out but she was just taken to the back where I had jumped out. We ran as far as we could, and that's when she told me about you. She says. "About what?" Ben asked. "Ummmmm" I hesitated for a moment I didn't know what to tell him. "About what?" He repeated. "Ben I'm expired."

"You're expired?" He said filled with worry. "Yes I am." "But that's impossible let me see your arm." He asked grabbing my arm gently. 4-27-16. "That was three days ago." He said. "I know." I said. He looked at me with worry. Just then we heard a noise coming from downstairs. BANG! BANG! BANG! Someone is banging on the door. "Uh oh! That didn't sound like a very friendly knock." Danielle says. "No it did not." I say. "Open the door Skylar! We know you're here!" A voice demanded. I recognize that voice anywhere. It's the grumpy cat.

"I recognize that voice anywhere." "It's the grumpy cat." I say out loud. "But how can a cat bang on a door that hard and talk?" Ben asks. "No she's not actually a grumpy cat, she's an evil nurse that hates me and is trying to kill me." I say. "Oh in that case I'm going downstairs to talk to her." Ben says. "No!" I yell at him while he starts to walk toward the door. "Well, someone's gotta take this thing down." He didn't say thing but let's just assume he did because it wasn't very nice.

I run up behind him and follow him to the door. I hide behind the door because he doesn't have it wide open just enough to show him. "Can I help you?" He asks politely. "Yes we are looking for Skylar Peterson." A female voice says. I can tell its grumpy cat. "Hmmmmmm I've never heard of him." He says trying to sound like he has no idea who that is and that he really has no idea since he pretends to not know my gender. "Um she's a girl." "But thanks for the help." Grumpy cat says. "No problem I hope you find her." Ben says closing the door. "Phew that was clo-" KNOCK! KNOCK! KNOCK!

"Ugh she's back." I say aren't peaking out the window. I hide behind the door again as Ben opens it. "Can I help you?" He asks again politely. "Sir we know you have her here." Grumpy cat says. "I don't know who you're talking about." He says innocently. "Yes you do you see, we put a tracker in her leg. After she says that I think to myself. I don't remember her putting a tracker in my leg. Maybe she did it while I was asleep. I think back to reality. "

"And our tracker is leading her here." She says. "Who's we?" Ben asks interrupting her. "My backup team." "So if you could please just hand her over we cou-" she starts to say but Ben interrupts her again. "Who's "team"?" Ben interrupts.

"Ugh you bafoon!" "Just hand her over!" She demands. "How about no." Ben says and slams the door locking the handle and the deadbolt. "Hide."