Chapter 9

"What?" I asked really loud. "Was that supposed to hurt?" "Uh yeah that's supposed to kill you!" I shout. "But it didn't." He says with a smile. I giggle a little bit and wrap my arms back around him for a hug. He puts his hands around my back and pulls me in tight. "I'm just glad you're not dead." "I know we just met but, I don't know what I'd do without you." I say with relief. "I don't know what'd I'd do without you either, window jumper." He says with a smile.

We release each other from the hug and get back on our feet. We both look at the grumpy cat and she's trying to reach for the bat. "Oh no you don't!" I say and pull it out of her hands. "Damn it!" She yells. "Hey language!" Ben yells at her. I laugh a little bit, I really don't mind that much but it obviously bothers Ben.

I look through the fanny pack and find a little stick which is about a little bit bigger than chapstick. "Hey what does this do?"I ask pointing it at Grumpy cat. She starts shaking and wiggling like crazy and then I let go of the button and her eyes close. "That's a taser." Ben says. "Whoops." I say innocently.

I walk up the stairs and into my mothers bedroom. The first thing I see is a broken window. I gasp. "They escaped!" I say and tears fill my eyes. Ben walks in right behind me. "Calm down sweetheart they're in the closet hiding." He says and opens the closet doors. My mother is laying on Danielle with her eyes closed and Danielle has a frown on her face. "We need to get her to a hospital." Ben says grabbing my mother from under her armpits and dragging her out of the closet. He holds her like a baby and we walk out to the car.

I sit in the back with my mother with her head laying on my lap and the rest of her body crouched on the other seats. Ben drives and Danielle in the passenger seat. Tears fill my eyes as I run my fingers through her hair. I can't lose my mother. She's all I heave left. At first it was my father, my mother, Sabrina, me, and a baby brother. My baby brother died not very long after birth. He had trouble breathing and they couldn't do anything because it was too late. Then, Sabrina died in the fire, and my father died because he was shot by one of his coworkers at his job being a business man.

His name was Mark Graham. If I ever get a chance to kill that man and avenge my father, I would. He was such an evil man, who murdered many just for money. I think back to reality. Tears stream down my face and I start to make the little hiccup noise you make when you cry. Ben looks back at me and frowns. "We're so close just hang on one more minute sweetheart." He says and steps harder on the peddle. I just nod and try to hold back more tears. We finally arrive at the hospital and Ben rushes out of the front seat and over to my side.

I pass over my mother to him and Danielle and I hop out and run to the front door. I run up to the front desk. "Excuse me, can we get a doctor we have an emergency." I say with my forehead sweating. "If you don't have an appointment, then I'm afraid you'll have to wait." The woman says. She has dark red curly hair and brown eyes. She looks pretty young like she's in her mid 20's maybe. My body fills with rage. I can't take it. "THIS IS AN EMERGENCY! CAN'T YOU SEE THAT SHE IS DYING OVER HERE?" I yell at the woman. She just looks at me and grabs a phone. "Doctor Dixon, we have an emergency can we get a gurney as soon as possible?" The woman asks. "Okay great thank you." She says and put the phone back into the receiver.

"Thank you!" I say and a bunch of nurses run in with a gurney and Ben lifts my mother onto it and they take her away. "I'm so sorry." "It's just that my mother is the last person I have left." I tell the nurse feeling guilty. "It's okay dear. "I know how you feel." She says. "Did the same thing happen to you?" I ask. "Yes, but then I met an amazing guy and we got married and we are having our first baby in four months she says revealing her belly. "Oh wow!" "Congratulations!" I say to her. "Thank you dear, but just hold on and I'm sure you'll meet a great guy soon." She says showing a smile.

I glance over at Ben who's sitting in a seat. I smile at him and turn back to the lady. "I think I already have." I say showing her a smile as well. "Oh is that your boyfriend?" She asks glancing over and him and smiling at me. "Oh no he's not my boyfriend." I say. "Aw that's too bad." "You know you two do look cute together." She says. "Thank you." I reply as I smile at her and walk away to the seats by Ben. I walk over to him and sit right next to him. A tear falls from my eye. "Hey it'll be okay." Ben says and grabs my hand. "But I don't know she's been sick ever since the fire and it's been four days!" I say in a panicked voice.

"I'm just afraid I'll lose her because without her, there's nobody I have left. My sister died, my brother died, and my father died. After my mother parishes I have nobody." I say as more tears fall on my face. "I'm so sorry Skylar, but I know one thing." "And what is that?" I ask. "As long as I'm alive, you'll always have me."