sixty two - almost famous

"Nixon, do you think ghosts are real?"

Josh is leaning against his locker, heads in the clouds as Nixon takes out the last of his books. He continues to empty out his locker, questioning the sanity of his best friend. 

"What? Uh, I don't know, Josh. Look, I don't have time for this, my mom is picking me up in 5 minutes and I'm going to my grandma's for the summer, remember?"

Josh grunts but keeps his head high, rolling his eyes.

"Could I get a ride? I forgot my bike by the bridge the other night..."

"Sure."

Nixon put the last of his books in his bag, cheering as they exited the doors.

"Finally, done with this hell hole once and for all. Don't worry man, one more year and you'll say the same thing. I promise."

He shot Josh a smile and got into the front passenger seat of his car, letting Josh take the back by himself. They drove quietly until the bridge, where Josh's bike still laid down on the ground as it had been vigorously thrown. Which, of course, it had been.

"Thanks, have a good summer, man."

"You too, take care of yourself. Keep int touch?"

"Always."

Josh smiled and shut his door, watching his best friend of 3 years, driving away from him for what could be the last time. He tried to not let another loss affect him and got on his bike instead, peddling to where he felt most at home.

Throwing his bike against the same oak tree, he ran to the swings and then, he sat. A deep sigh escaped his lips until the sounds of rustling chains in an autumn wind sounded by his side. Josh quietly lifted his head and shot it to his left.

"What the-"

"Hi, Josh."

"Tyler?"