twenty three - shadow to my light

Josh is shaking, he's so nervous. He wrote the boy a note. It's kind of messy but it's cute, he can't wait for him to read it. He's planning on giving it to him tonight.

When he walks through the halls, it happens too quick, he's shoved into the boys bathroom and the door is locked. Connor smiles while Mark and James grab him, the skinny boy is leaning against the wall and watching.

"What's up, faggot? Miss us?"

He rips Josh's bag and opens it.

"Let's see, we had a really important review for the end of the year exam. It's crucial for us not to lose it, wouldn't it be a shame, huh? If yours were to, well, be misplaced."

Connor smirks as he pulls out a handful of papers.

"Hey, Tyler! Get over here."

Josh shoots his head up and looks at Tyler who walks towards Connor and he grabs the papers.

"Find the review, would you?"

Tyler starts to read through the papers and shakes when he comes across the letter.

hey there,

so, um, sorry if this is creepy, I just really wish I knew who you were. I mean, I don't even know who you are. But that's okay, besides Nixon, you're the closest thing I've had to a friend. I'm really glad I met you, and I never really got to thank you for the sweater. I hate showing my arms, you can probably guess why, but it's mostly my parents. and those guys at school who make my life a living hell. they make me question my existence every fucking time but that's not important. anyway, thanks so much for everything. I wouldn't be here if it weren't for you.

josh :)

Tyler was frozen and he couldn't move. His eyes were glued on the paper and he just read it over and over again.

"Tyler? Did you fucking find it or not?"

Connor didn't bother to wait and just grabbed the entire pile of papers and thumbed his lighter, putting the flame to the corner. It wasn't long until it set on fire, and Connor laughed before tossing it on the ground.

"No!"

Josh screamed but the boys didn't care. They simply left, Tyler following helplessly. He couldn't get the words out of his head, but regardless, they were gone forever now. Nothing but a pile of ashes, like himself in a way.