Chapter 6: Jazlyn

I landed on my bed completely sore from the training that Victor made us go through today. I was happy that I was in the patrolling team with Melissa, Aphrodite, Darren, and not so much, Andrew. I was so happy when Victor said to us, “Welcome to the Black Knights.”

Today, Victor made us run laps around the whole campus, which was about seven acres. Then he made us do that obstacle course again for about three more times.

Melissa walked into the dorm in sweats and a sports bra, drying up her hair. “Not planning on taking a shower today, stinky?”

“When I gain the energy to move, I will take a shower...I don’t smell that bad.”

“What are you talking about?” Aphrodite said. “I was able to smell you from across the hall.”

Groaning and mumbling how my roommates complained too much, I got up, grabbed my things, and headed to the showers. I turned the knob all the way to hot and massaged my sore muscles with my bar soap. Seriously, I don’t know how the heck I’m surviving this.

“Jazlyn!” called out Melissa.

“Yeah?”

“Hurry up, we have to meet up with Julianna and Victor in the small auditorium.”

“Why? What’s going on?”

“I don’t know. There’s just a meeting.”

I changed into my clothes and headed over to the small auditorium. When I came in, it looked like Andrew saved me a seat but I chose to sit in between Melissa and Aphrodite so that he would have an empty space next to him. Seriously, he tries a little too hard for my taste.

Julianna cleared her throat. “There have been some reports about a group of vampires attacking the Black Knights’ headquarters back in the US. These vampires are killing over twenty professional hunters within an hour.”

“That’s bullshit,” Aphrodite commented out loud. “These twenty hunters are dying because of one little group? What kind of hunters are they?”

Victor stepped forward. “Why do you think we are bringing this to your attention? These pieces of filth are ruining our name. It has already hit the headquarters in Massachusetts and Missouri. California is going to be it’s next target, which has the largest and the strongest group of hunters we have in the states. They’re prepared to fight off these vampires, but if they fail then the vampires in the states are free to roam and do whatever they please.”

“So, what do you want us to do about this?” I questioned them. “Do you have a plan?”

“We do,” Julianna nodded. “We want to send the five of you to California for two days only as watchers. You aren’t allowed to get involved with the hunters. Your job is to do one thing and one thing only: study how these hunters move. You are going to get a taste of what the real thing is like.”