Twenty seven - "Do you love her?"

Killian's P.O.V.

My mom led me into her bedroom and told me to take a seat on the bed as she walked over to her dresser on the other side of the room. She opened her jewellery box, taking something in her hand and then came and sat next to me on the bed.

"Everything okay, mom?" I asked.

"I am so proud of you, Killian. You've had a really tough couple of years, but everyday I saw you becoming more of man and handling this whole thing with more strength than I thought was possible from anyone. You're strength, through all of this, has kept your father an I strong."

"Mom..." She lifted her hand up to stop me interrupting.

"And the way you have taken care of Marie... I know that you would never let anybody get hurt but you went above and beyond to keep her safe and happy. Not to mention the whole fall dance thing you did. She's obviously very special to you."

"Please, mom." I appreciated what she was saying to me but it was still embarrassing talking about a girl with your mom.

"Just listen. When your father and I got married your grandmother gave me this." She handed me a necklace. It had a delicate silver chain and at the bottom was a pale blue opal - the colour of which reminded me of Melinda - surrounded my tiny diamonds.

"I had planned on giving it to my future daughter but then the gods blessed us with you two charming boys before nature took its course and we were no longer able to have anymore children. My point is - i want you to have it."

"Uh... mom? As much as I appreciate it, it's not really my kind of style." I told her.

"What? No, you idiot. Its for you to give to Marie." She explained.

Oh.

"She's only been my girlfriend for 2 weeks. Isnt it too soon to give her a family heirloom?" I asked. I wanted to give it to her, absolutely. Hell, I wanted to give her the world if I could. But the last thing I want to do is move to fast for her and terrify her away.

"Do you love her?" My mom said, bluntly.

I didn't expect it and immediately went to tell her "No." But I hesitated. Was that what the feeling was in the pit of my stomach? Everytime I looked at, or thought about my Marie, my stomach would flip into a mixture of nausea and happiness. I felt my skin flush with warmth when she would make eye contact with me. And don't even get me started on what I felt when i saw her naked, or whimpering in pleasure.

But the most incredible feeling she gave me was every morning, waking up to her beside me, sleeping peacefully beside me - It made my heart feel like it was expanding, with fire burning inside. It finally hit me..

I was falling for her.

"I... don't know." I wasn't exactly lying. I was falling for her, definitely, but I'd never been in love before so I didn't know if I was completely there yet. The last thing I want to do is break out the 'L' word before I'm sure.

"Okay, how about this: If she suddenly disappeared of the face of the earth, how would you feel?" She asked and I answered immediately, without even thinking about it.

"Like half my world was gone." My mum just smiled.

"Killy, when Steve came back from putting you guys in the hotel, he told me something. He said that when you both went on the run, although he knew you and trusted you, he was still scared that something would happen to Marie. But then when he met you at that motel, and he saw the way you looked at her - he knew that she was the most precious thing in the world to you. That's why we all agreed that you two would stay in a hotel for a couple of weeks - to give you both some time together, away from all the drama you'd been through." She told me. It was their idea?