Chapter 45 - Nathaniel

Start from the beginning

“W-wait! You have to let me—“ I started to say but he silenced me with one dangerous look.

Before he left, he glanced back at me which practically made me swallow my tongue. It might just be my imagination but for a moment there, I thought he looked at me with sincerity in his blue eyes. It was as though he hated having to lock me up in his room.

“Stay here and get some sleep. I won’t lock the door but don’t try to escape either. I’d still find you no matter what you do,” he said.

I didn’t know how much time had passed. They were arguing in hushed tones for a while then it was silent. I sat on the floor, burying my face on the edge of Nathan’s bed. It smelled like lemon soda and mint. Before my eyes drooped out of exhaustion, there was a moment where I stared at the array of pictures Nathan sketched. Every picture gave a feeling of warmth about them; something that felt so much like home and longing.

Was Nathan as bad as Leon had told me? I was starting to doubt my own judgement. But still I had to get out of here. I wouldn’t count so much on my instincts since they suck pretty much all the time.

The light coming from the chink at the bottom of the door went out. It was as silent as a graveyard and all I could hear was the occasional chirrup of cicadas.

I took a look outside from the window. The night was deep. I had no idea where I was. All I could see was a long stretch of woods. It wasn’t what I had hoped for but I had no choice.

The door wasn’t locked as Nathan had promised. I slid out as stealthily as I could manage which was pretty much not stealthy at all because I could hear the floor against the soles of my old sneakers with every step. What was worse was the violent pounding in my throat. It echoed through my ears like crazy.

The corridor was dark and empty. I found my way to the stairs very easily and before I knew it, I was past the dark living room and out the front door. It wasn’t locked either as all the other doors I tried to open in the house. Who in their right mind would leave the front door open in the middle of the night when everyone was asleep? Nathan must have some serious issues with locked doors.

I quickened my pace as I reached a dirt path leading away from the house. It was only then that I realized how big it was. It must’ve been twice as large as Leon’s mansion though it only had two floors. I shook my head. Less admiring huge luxury mansions, more running!

Trees lined the trail from both sides and I was glad that the moon was nearly full. I may not know where on earth I was headed to but at least I could see where I was going. How long had it been? Fifteen, twenty minutes? And still no sign of civilization. Great. Just great.

I didn’t mind that my feet hurt like hell. I was more distracted by the thoughts that buzzed inside my head. My plan was to keep on going but the grass strewn path seemed endless.

After several more minutes, just when my feet started to give up on me, I saw a clearing through the woods. In the middle of the clearing was a small pond so clear it mirrored the moon and the tall fir trees that surrounded it. In the left most part of the glade was a tall slab of stone where a charcoal painting was placed precariously. From what I could make out, it was a sketch of the scenery. It was meticulously detailed from the gentle ripples on the surface of the pond to the intricate features of the bluebells and red lilies that were strewn on the vast glade. The more I looked at it, the more it gave off a calm feeling.

“There you are.” A familiar voice said from behind me. I turned around to find Nathan half-running towards me with a somewhat relieved smile on his face.

Instinctively, I backed away a few steps. It was too late before I realized that I was already on the edge of the bank. Without thinking, I held onto the slab but it was too unsteady to support my weight. The painting toppled over and nearly fell into the water however I caught it with one hand and placed it carefully back on top of the makeshift canvas stand. Just when I thought I was safe, I tripped on a protruding tree root and fell into the pond.

Next thing I knew, I was flailing my limbs to get myself out of the water.

“Help!” I gasped in panic. A few more seconds and I started to sink into the dark coldness, unable to breathe, much less think. I was out of air. I had swimming lessons before but for some reason I was drowning.

Just Pathetic.

Who knew this pond was so deep? I thought bitterly as the last puff of air escaped my mouth.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi there! *echoes* Yeah well... I know it's been too long... maybe you've forgotten this tory or just got tired waiting *boohuhuhu* I'm really sorry about that and I do hope you're still there, whoever you are. ToT

I promise to make another update soon so please keep posted and vote or comment if you wanna shout out! XD

LOVE and COOKIES and TEDDY BEARS,

~shim :)