twenty five | better days

"Logan, your mom is ready to see you." Christen said, as she kept her hands on his back and gently pushed him forward. He stayed silent, as he held onto her arms, walking slowly into the room that held his sickly mother.

"Hey baby." Auntie Lisa said lowly as her voice cracked. Logan slightly smiled, but stayed in his position, not sure if he wanted to get near her or not. "Come give me some love, sugar. What are you so far for?" She laughed a bit, making sure not to laugh too much or else she'd be in pain. Logan continued to look at her without saying a word, making the smile on Auntie Lisa's face quickly become a frown. "No? Alright. It's okay baby, I know you're probably afraid. Well, how's everything been? You look so good."

"Good." Logan said, as he continued to hold onto Christen's wrists.

"I'm glad Christen's been treating you well. How's school?"

"Good." He bit onto his thumb and continued to blankly stare at his mother.

"Well, I'm glad everything's well Logan. I'm sorry I couldn't give you this, but I'm glad you're able to get it from somebody who could take real good care of you. You know I always think about you though, and I love you more than anything." Auntie Lisa began to cry as her voice weakened. "Come give me a hug." Christen slowly edged Logan towards his mother, which ended up being successful. Logan stood near her bed, quietly, allowing his mother to get as close to him as much as she could. But he didn't budge. "I will always love you, no matter what happens."

"Can we please go?" He turned to Christen. "I don't want to be here anymore."

~

"Hey Christen. What happened?" Heart quickly paced over to Christen, dropping her bags to the floor.

"He just wasn't having it Heart. I'm not sure why, & I didn't want to keep poking at it. But he wanted to leave faster than it took to get us in there."

"Poor kid. I'll talk to him." Christen simply nodded before Heart walked off to Logan's room. She gently knocked twice before helping herself in, seeing the boy silently coloring at his desk. She smiled to herself as she made her way deeper into his room and plopped on his bed. "Hey babyboy. Whatcha got there?"

"Hi Heart. I'm just coloring my homework then I'll be done."

"Well that's good. School went well today?"

"It sure did. Earned myself some candy because I read to the class today."

"You're such a big boy now, stop it." She pinched his arm, making him giggle. "How was visiting your mom?"

"I don't know, okay I guess?" He shrugged as he continued to color.

"Why do you guess? That's your mom, Loges."

"I know but she looked so different and it didn't seem the same."

"It's just been awhile." He sighed as he turned to her.

"Heart, I know. But, it still doesn't change the fact that mommy isn't the same."

"I'm sorry, sweetie. I--" He began to cry softly.

"What happened to her?" Heart quickly pulled him into her arms, trying her hardest to be strong for him. She knew he couldn't comprehend everything going on with his mom & there was no way she could make things clear at the moment. She couldn't even understand it herself. All she could do was be there for him.