three | the wallet's lifesaver

"You dropped this." Heart quickly scanned the 6'2 man standing in front of her. She suddenly felt intimidated in his presence as he continued to flash her a big smile. She was at a lost for words that she didn't even realize he was still holding out her wallet. "Uh, I'm sorry miss. I don't bite or anything. I just think you're gonna be needing this to pay for all your belongings." He chuckled nervously.

"Right. Sorry." She shook her head as she gently grabbed the wallet from his hand. "Thank you."

"You not from around here, are you?" She shook her head in silence. "It's cool. Maybe I'll see you around." He winked before proceeding to turn and walk away.

~

"Make sure you don't drop your wallet again, babe." Stephen laughed over FaceTime, as he watched Heart put the last bits of food into her mouth. "You're getting way too excited about that food you bring home."

"Oh hush, Wardell."

"Does this mean you have to go?"

"Uh, in a bit. I'll just stay on the phone until I get to the studio. It's a pretty long walk."

"Longest 5 second walk of your life, huh sweetheart?"

"Just a bit. You know I don't like to do any of these athletic things."

"Walking is good for you, though."

"I guess." She sighed. "I'm just so tired. I just want to go to the beach and lie there. Stuff my face with ice cream sandwiches while the water hits my toes."

"Sounds like the life."

"I know, but. Responsibilities." She shrugged as she continued to keep up with her own pace over to the studio.

"You got that right."

"What time is your meeting today?"

"In an hour."

"So, shouldn't you be getting ready?" She chuckled.

"Eh, yeah. It takes me like, 5 minutes."

"For a meeting like that? You're gonna get ready in 5 minutes?"

"Why not? I just gotta throw on some pants and a shirt."

"Yeah, true."

"I mean, unless you're telling me I need to do all that makeup stuff. Add some foundation, a little blush.. and, what's that new thing you've been going crazy over?"

"Highlighter."

"Yeah, that highlighter stuff. You don't need that babe. You don't even need any makeup. You got that au naturel glow."

"I just like playing with makeup."

"Yes, I'm very aware." He laughs. "I got you though, baby. Maybe I'll buy the whole Sephora store just to get you back home."

"Very sweet, but you know I have to get work done."

"Yeah I know." There was silence on both ends of the line. Although she missed him, she hated talking about their distance. She knew Steph wasn't trying to do it on purpose, but she felt like he was disregarding the whole reason why she was in LA. No big deal though. It was hard and she tried to be understanding.

"Well babe, I need to go."

"You're at the studio already?"

"Mhm. Besides, you need to get ready for your meeting." He sighed.

"I know. Alright, well just hit me when you're done with your day."

"Okay."

"I love you, Heart."

"I love you too, Wardell." And with that, the call ended. Heart sighed as she tugged onto her bag tighter and entered the studio. She took off her sunglasses and threw them into her bag as she made her way deeper into the studio.

"Hey, you're Heart right?" Heart simply nodded as she watched the unfamiliar woman grab her arm and drag her into the room. "We're a bit behind schedule so we're going to need you to get your makeup done as soon as possible and throw on your first outfit."

"Oh, uhm. Alright." She sat in front of a vanity as she listened to the woman yell at the makeup artists and stylists present to get her ready for the shoot. Sooner or later, she was swarmed by two women, all armed with makeup brushes and curling irons. Heart couldn't lie, she liked being pampered and having people work on her like that, but she was also still overwhelmed. She never had this kind of treatment before, nor did she ever ask to be in this position. Everything was all new to her. But rather than contemplating on her opportunities in that light, she embraced it more and more everyday.

She closed her eyes for a quick minute as they continued to do their last minute work. Then, Heart was quickly thrown towards a rack of clothes and was told which outfit to put on first. And so, she did what she was told.

Mid-yawn, she walked out to where the photographer and backdrop was. Unaware of her surroundings, she stood in the middle of the backdrop and disregarded everyone in front of her. She honestly just wanted to get the photoshoot done so she could enjoy the rest of the day.

"Hey, so did you get it?" She heard the photographer call out to someone around the corner. She eyed the two, almost doing a double take when she realized who the other person was.

"Yeah I did, my bad." The same man who saved her wallet's life stood next to the photographer as they went over certain controls on the camera he was holding.

"I'm sorry dear, this will just be one second." The photographer turned and continued to occupy himself at the computer.

"Hey. Don't I know you from somewhere?" Heart chuckled as he came closer.

"Yeah, you saved my wallet's life."

"Oh right! At Target!" He laughed as he pinched the bridge of his nose and shook his head. "I'm sorry. I do remember your face though."

"It's okay."

"I didn't know you modeled?"

"I'm just starting out, really. I didn't know you were a photographer?"

"Just starting out, really." He chuckled as he mocked her. "What's your name again, beautiful?"

"Uh, Heart." She said, a bit surprised that he didn't recognize her as Stephen's girlfriend.

"I'm Jordan." He smiled.

" He smiled