sixteen | jomari's promise

Heart's eyes widened in fear as she stared at the man in front of her. For a minute, she felt lost. She began to panic as she looked around the room, worrying Stephen.

"Heart? Heart, baby. It's me, Wardell." He ran to her as he began to brush her hair and shush her quietly. "Hey, it's me, it's me. It's okay." He planted a kiss on her forehead as she began to calm down and wrap her arms around his neck.

"Wardell." She began to sob as she held onto him tightly.

"Babygirl, what is it? What's wrong, huh? What's hurting you?" She continued to sob, quickly wetting his shirt.

"I'm sorry." She managed to spit out in between cries.

"Please don't apologize sweetheart. I'm just glad you're okay." He slightly pulled away to look her in the eyes & wipe away her tears.

"Why am I here?" She asked, confusing Stephen. He wasn't sure how to respond, nor if he should. Or if that was the doctor's place to answer. He was in the know about everything that's been happening, but he didn't feel too good talking to her about it. Steph simply sighed, as he slowly kept wiping away the remaining tears.

"Heart, I don't know if I should really be the one to tell you what's been happening."

"What? W-what do you mean what's been happening." She sat up in bed, wincing a bit at how uncomfortable she felt.

"I'll get the Doctor, okay?"

"Wardell, don't."

"What do you mean? I can't do it, baby. I really just don't have the heart to tell you."

"Well if it's like that, then I'm not ready."

"Heart, you have to know. Besides, sooner or later, the doctor's going to come in to check up on you."

"Who else is here?" She looked towards the door as she heard a voice approaching it.

"It's okay. It's Dom. Dray's here too, but he's out doing meetings." He watched as she eased up a bit, seeing Dom's presence fill the room. Dom instantly smiled from ear to ear, quickly running to Heart's side.

"Heart, you're awake! Jeez, I'm so glad you're okay. How are you feeling?"

"Uhm, okay." She quickly turned to Wardell as the anxiety continued to build within her. "Can I please just know what's happening?" Her bottom lip began to tremble as she slowly pouted, the tears rimming her eyes once again.

"I'll go get the doctor, okay?"

"Wardell." She said, gently grabbing his wrist.

"Baby, you have to listen to me. This is for your own good. There's no way things are going to get better if you don't have a good understanding of what happened."

"Heart, he's right." Dom chimed in. Seeing the concern in their eyes, she let her tears fall as she let go of his wrist and slowly nodded. Stephen softly smiled as he couldn't contain his happiness hearing her voice. But he knew they'd have a long way to go until she was completely okay again. He quickly exited the room, luckily catching sight of the doctor down the hall. Not wanting to look too hasty, he stopped running midway to power walk.

"Wardell, don't go walking these halls looking all crazy now." He told himself as he scratched his head nervously as he approached the doctor.

"Mr. Curry, how are we doing? Is anything wrong?"

"No sir. Everything's great, actually. Heart's awake." The doctor smiled.

"Well, that's great!"