nine | comfortable

"He's just my friend, Wardell. He's been a really good friend to me while I've been out here. I just don't know why you had to do that." Heart turned on her side as Stephen laid behind her, quietly looking at her back. Not wanting to argue with her any longer, he sighed. He lightly ran a finger down her back before attempting to hold her.

But she scooted away from him. Feeling the hurt again, he turned on his side.

"I guess so. Goodnight, Heart." No response. He figured she had already fallen asleep, so he laid there. Awake. Trying to put the pieces together.

Why were things like this?

He couldn't stand it anymore. He was doing the most for this relationship and it seemed like it didn't matter to her.

He needed a break.

~

"So, this is it, huh?" Steph avoided eye contact as he grabbed his duffle bag from the back of Heart's car.

"I just think we need to figure things out on our own for a bit. I hate to do it before I leave, but I'd rather tell you while I'm physically here and not over the phone."

"Yeah." Heart looked away as she wiped her tears away.

"Heart, you know I'm right. Things will never get fixed with us getting on each other like this. Letting things be like this."

"Okay, Wardell. I get it." He sighed as he threw up his hands in defeat. He stared at her as she continued to avoid eye contact, but he could clearly see her crying. He hated seeing her cry. Even if they were on a rough patch.

"Come here."

"No."

"Can you just give me a hug before I leave, please?" She quickly hugged him before pulling away to wipe her face. Stephen gently grabbed her face and wiped the remainder of her tears as he shook his head. "Stop crying. You know I hate that."

"Not my fault." He sighed, heavily this time. His head dropped before he planted a kiss on the top of her head and looked at her once more.

"You know I love you."

"Just go, Wardell." He stood there for a minute, hoping she would hug him. Kiss him. Anything, to make this feeling go away.

But she didn't. That's when he knew they really needed this.

He slung the duffle bag over his shoulder and went on his way, not turning his back once to look at her. Quite frankly, he felt empty inside now that him and Heart were on this break.

Break. Breakup. It all felt like the same concept. Things were just rough, period.

He wanted to be with his boys. As for Heart, she sat in the car, replaying the whole scene in her head.

Yes, everything made sense. But being the girl she was, she refused to believe it. She was more angry at Steph than sad. She wasn't sure. It was just her emotions running wild.

When she couldn't find sight of Stephen in the crowd, she immediately started her car and sped off to meet Jordan at Corona Del Mar. She knew he was there taking pictures for the day and she just needed some company to get her mind off of Steph.