twenty two | yes and no

"Amethyst? I'm not sure we've met before or come across each other's paths. I'm sorry, forgive me for not remembering." Heart chuckled as she shyly tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. She felt awful she didn't remember, but this girl didn't seem familiar whatsoever.

"Oh no, we haven't met. But I've come across Steph a lot." She chuckled as she twirled a piece of hair.

"Oh, you have?"

"Yeah, don't you know?"

"Know what?"

"You poor thing." Amethyst sucked her teeth. "Steph's been at the Silver Lining Dance Club a lot lately with his boys."

"Uhm--"'

"And yes I'm sure it's him. I didn't want to be the one to tell you this, but he's invited me over to his place a couple of times." Heart looked down at her feet. "I'm sorry boo, but maybe you two need to figure out some things in your relationship."

"Yeah, thanks." She said, beginning to push the cart. "Well it was nice to meet you. But I have to go."

~

Heart wrapped herself in her blankets as she sat in her bed, cupping the cup of tea in her hands. She had no idea what to make of her encounter with Amethyst, but she was deeply hurt. Not only did she have to encounter her barely alive aunt in jail, but now she was coming home to this.

She just wanted some groceries so she could stock up her fridge.

Not some chick to deliver some news about Steph and his "whereabouts."

Hearing the front door to her little guest home close, her heart began to race. She wasn't sure if she wanted him to be here right now, or if she wanted to be alone.

But what happens when you want to be alone & next to the same person you love at the very same time?

"Hey babygirl." Stephen smiled from ear to ear as he held up a bag of In-N-Out. "I got you a little something to cheer you up." He placed it on the night stand near her bed.

"Thank you." She quietly said as she looked back down at her cup. Steph watched her as she sighed, letting her finger trace the rim of the cup. He knew something was wrong, and he knew it was more than just her aunt. He took a seat next to her on the bed and lifted her chin to look her in the eyes.

"What's the matter, babygirl?" She simply looked him in the eye without saying a word. As if to say that her eyes would tell him everything. "Hm?" He quietly said, patiently waiting for a response.

"Wardell." She softly said as she turned her face away, making sure he wouldn't catch the tear that happened to escape her eye.

"Yes?"

"Do you have anything to tell me?"

"W-what? What do you mean?"

"Wardell, please don't lie to my face. I've already had to face enough today." Heart looked at him as her eyes watered some more. His heart dropped at the same time his head did. He knew he had to be honest, but he was scared to. The more Stephen didn't speak up, the more Heart grew impatient. He wanted to tell her, but he wasn't sure how. But it was only making it seem like he was purposely hiding it from her.  

He sighed as he looked back up. "I don't know what to tell you, Heart." Was all he could come up with.

"Why don't you tell me why Amethyst came up to me at the grocery store?"

"Amethyst?" He scrunched his forehead in confusion. Who the hell-- Right. Amethyst. 

"Yes. Amethyst. The stripper from the Silver Linings club. I thought you'd be more familiar with her after you've asked her over a couple of times."

"Wait now hold on, a couple of times?" He ran his hand through his hair before standing to defend his case. "Baby, are you really going to listen to her? I didn't invite her over 'a couple of times.'" He said with air quotes.

"But you had her over?"

"Once. But, I swear on you and our relationship that nothing happened. I sent her right back out the door."

"Were you even planning to tell me this?"

"Heart, you know I was. I just didn't know when, especially with everything happening with your Aunt."

"You said that right." She shook her head and crossed her arms.

"How would I have known she'd run into you at the grocery store? If I could, I would've prevented that from happening so you'd hear it from me & only me. I was never going to hide this from you."

"I just don't get why you would go back to all that after everything we've been through." She wiped away her tears. "Wardell, the trouble we went through just to get me out of that scene and you're trying to get back into it like it's nothing? Did none of that mean anything to you, or teach you anything?"

"Of course it did, baby. I'm sorry. I know I shouldn't have and that's my mistake. I was just upset with how distant we were feeling when you were in LA. You know, everything with Jordan." 

"But why did you have to cope with it that way? I know it's partially my fault too, but there could've been other ways." She stood up and began to cry even more. "I lost Jomari from all that. Don't you remember?" Heart buried her face in her hands, making Steph pull her into a tight hug.

"I know, I'm so sorry sweetheart. I didn't mean to. I didn't mean to hurt you, or hide this from you. I only want to take care of you and keep you happy. This was never in my intentions." After awhile, she pulled away and shook her head at him.

"I just need to be alone. There's so many things going on that.. I just need to clear my head and give myself some time." He hated hearing that, especially because he knew he'd be pushed away after her encounter with Amethyst. Sorry wasn't going to fix everything, and he could only do things to prove himself. But if she needed time to herself, then she needed time to herself. He couldn't force her to feel a certain way or make her forgive him right away. He knew he was in the wrong after everything they've been through.

He just hates how everything had to happen at the same time. 

He'll just promise he'll be there for her and never give up, that's forsure.

"I understand and respect that. Do you want me to go?" Heart simply looked at him. She was torn between yes and no. But at the same time, there were so many things happening. She was recovering from the Jordan incident. Her aunt. Now this.

You should never make decisions with a clouded mind. 

She nodded. "I'll just talk to you later, okay?" He placed a kiss on her forehead.

"I love you, alright? More than anything. I'm here if you need me, baby." He softly smiled before walking out of her house. She snuggled back into her blankets to give herself a good cry. She hated this. She hated it all. She just wished things fell into place again.

"Jomari. I wish you were here to remind me to be strong." She cried. "I miss you so much. The times that I need you the most.. and you aren't here."