fourteen | warmth

"Is she gonna be aight?" Kevin eyed Jordan holding onto Heart as she stumbled into the hotel room and plopped onto the bed.

"Yeah, dude. She's fine."

"Bruh, I don't know. I feel like you put a little too much in her drink."

"Oh now you wanna act all proper & shit? When just a couple of minutes ago you was telling me to get it over with."

"I didn't mean that much!"

"Alright well, I need to take care of business. I'mma hit ya'll later." Jordan winked as he shut the hotel room door. He made his way over to the bed as Heart struggled to turn herself over and make herself comfortable.

"Jordan?" Heart asked, barely able to open her eyes, nor feel her body in general.

"Shh." He shushed her as he climbed on top of her and began undressing.

"No, please." But she couldn't move. She had no control over what was going to happen.

~

Dom excused himself to pick up a phone call outside of the hospital, while Draymond and Stephen walked into the lobby to speak to the receptionist and find out what room Heart was in.

"Hi, Uh, We're looking for Miss Heart Dawson."

"Miss Dawson doesn't have any visitors on her list--" Draymond cleared his throat to get the full attention of the lady behind the desk. She looked up, her eyes widened in surprised. "O-oh. I apologize, Mr. Curry. We just weren't expecting anyone--"

"Don't worry about it." He smiled softly as she handed them visitor passes and directed them towards Heart's room. The hospital halls were blank, making the two feel a little depressed. Steph curiously looked into the rooms, watching the nurses take care of their patients and smiling at the other patients who were roaming the halls.

"Jeez, this ain't an easy place to be."

"Tell me about it." Draymond replied as he did the same. Sooner or later, they were turning the corner that lead to Heart's room. Draymond noticed Stephen's pace becoming slower and slower before he completely stopped in his tracks. "What's wrong, Steph?"

"You know.. it's funny." He chuckled a bit as he looked down at his hands. "I did everything I could to prevent her from ending up in here when she was in trouble with Bigs. I tried to do everything to keep her and Jomari safe."

"Come on, man. I know you did. But what's done is done. Nothing's going to change what happened to Jomari, no matter how much it sucks."

"I just never really thought I'd be having to visit her in a hospital because I told myself I'd do everything in my power to keep her safe." He looked away as the tears rimmed his eyes. "I guess not."

"None of this is your fault, Steph. You need to understand that. As much as you want to be a superhero and keep her from harm's reach 24/7, it's not possible. Not with this world that we live in."

"I wished I did a better job, though."

"There's always room for improvement. We learn that everyday being on the court."

"Yeah, I guess."

"You gonna be alright to go in?"

"Yeah I'll be okay." Draymond nodded, signaling for him to lead the way. The room was very dull and lacked sunlight. Thank God they brought some flowers. Walking deeper, his heart sank as he saw her, quietly asleep on the bed. She looked like she hadn't move in awhile, and it ached him a bit. All he wanted to do was be able to talk to her and hug her. Make sure she was okay. Regardless of what they were going through, this isn't what he wanted for her.

Lord knew how much he loved this girl. Or else he wouldn't have done what he's done for her. He wanted to be the reason why she had a better life.

Scratch that. He wanted to be the reason why her and Logan had a better life.

Steph set up the flowers on the table near her bedside before making his way to the chair to sit next to her. "Hey sweetheart." He said softly, as he brushed the hair out of her face and planted a kiss on her forehead. He sat on the chair as he held onto her hand and caressed it. He held on tightly to provide some warmth to her cold hands. He frowned a bit when he didn't get a response from her, but he felt a pulse against her wrist.

"Yo, I'll be outside alright? I'm gonna give you two some time." Dray said. He smiled down at Heart before proceeding to walk out of the room. Stephen sighed as the sight of Draymond completely disappeared. There was nobody but the two of them, sitting in silence and a dull, white room. He looked at the monitor as he read her pulse. It was slow, but she was still alive and that's all that mattered.

"Damn babygirl. What happened? I wish you could tell me what happened so I could make it better for you. I never wanted to see you like this. I never wanted to see you hurt in general." As he sat, he laid his head onto her lap and continued to caress her arm. "You're so beautiful." He lifted her hand and placed a kiss on it. "Seeing your face makes me remember all the reasons why I fell so in love with you." He sighed as he picked his head up once more to get a better look at her. He brushed the hair away from her forehead and caressed her cheek, smiling to himself.

But it broke his heart more than anything.

His smile quickly turned to a frown and he began to cry on her lap.

"I'm sorry for everything. I knew I should've tried harder to be there for you and protect you. I didn't do my best while we were away from each other. But please, babygirl. Just pull through this and wake up for me. Let me make it better. I don't want to do this anymore. I don't want to be away from you, I don't want anybody else but you. I love you more than anything, Heart. And I told you from the get-go that you were everything to me. You still are." He cried. "I hate seeing you hurt. I'm so sorry I wasn't there, baby."

Draymond walked back towards the room after buying himself a snack from the nearby vending machine, bumping into Dom.

"Dray, where's Steph?"

"He's in the room with Heart."

"Is she okay?"

"She's alive but she's not awake." Dom shook his head.

"Sheesh. Whatever happened must have done damage. The doctor come by yet?"

"Nah not at all."

"Alright, well let's wait around for the doctor to come by so we can figure out what really happened." Draymond nodded silently. The two quietly walked into the room, but paused in their steps as they watched Stephen cry on Heart's lap. It broke their hearts, knowing Steph really loved her despite the struggles they've been through.

He had the biggest soft spot for her, and there was nothing more that said soulmates than the two.

"Dear God, please watch over Heart. I need you to be on her side and protect her from any damage and hurt she may be going through right now." He took a breath from all the crying he was doing. "Please...  I love her so much. "

~

(Gravity - Sara Bareilles)