Chapter 56

Aflame - Chapter 56

(Madison's P.O.V.)

Our eyes on the dark road ahead of us with only the headlights to light our way.

The ride is quiet and neither of us speaks a word, maybe I should just say something to break the ice.

"It's nice to see you again," I mention through the thick tension laced in the air as I begin to feel a bit nervous. "We've never actually been alone in the same place together since-"

"Since the last time you pretended to be Paige and basically forced me into having sex with you?"

His words cuts deep as I feel it like a cold chill down the back of my spine. 

I keep quiet as my clutch on the steering wheel became tighter.

The both of us are quiet now... None of us speak a word as I think on that evening and the guilt begins to rumble up inside of me.

How do I react to something like that?

"I'm sorry," He speaks up, which took me by complete surprise. "I shouldn't have brought that up when you're basically saving me from-"

"No... No!" I shake my head and then look over at him as I notice his furrowed brow and confused look. "I should be the one apologizing... Not you." He keeps quiet as I think on it. "... I don't know why- No. Actually, I do know why I did that; it's because I was a selfish, envious, completely pathetic, disgrace of a human being."

He lets out a sigh at my words.

"Madison, don't say tha-"

"No, Harry  - I was." My voice stern as I gulp down. "How could I have done that to you? To Paige?" I shake my head at the thought. "How could I have been so... So hateful to even try and steal happiness from the two of you just to fill up my selfish, empty life?"

He is quiet and not responding.

I try to look over at him as he has his eyes down and looks as though he's in deep thought. Then I start to feel even more guilty.

"And there I go speaking about myself again when you're going through such a tragic event." He shuffles in his seat this time as I had my eyes on the road ahead. "I can't even imagine how it must be like knowing that Paige, the love of your life, is going through it too."

His facial expression changes as soon as I speak her name and this time he lifts his eyes even though his head is still down.

"Stop the car."

"What?"

"Just-" He stops himself as he takes in a sharp breath, where he seems to be calming himself down. "I need some air. Please."

His voice a bit tense, but not as frustrated as it was before.

"Okay."

I knew that I shouldn't ask him anymore questions as I stop the car at the side of the road.

The instant the car comes to a halt, that's when Harry just opened the car door and walked out.

I watch him from the rear view mirror as I notice him slightly limping as he runs his hands through his hair and looks up to the sky for a while.

I waste no time waiting as I get out from the car and the cold air hits me, causing me to place my hood over my head. 

I walk up to Harry as he has his back to me.

I suck in my lips before managing the nerve to speak up to him again.

"Harry?"

I hear how he lets out a heavy sigh, but I decide to ignore it.